Iv during labor

So i know this sounds kind of crazy but I guess i feel pain differently then most people... the whole kid coming out of the vagina and tearing and contractions don't scare me.. and as of right now i feel like i've had worse period cramps... I'm like a week away and i'm sure there is a possibility that it will hurt more then I think but thats not the part i'm scared of... I'm so scared of getting an iv put into my hand or something.. and i'm a freak when it comes to needles.. like if the epidural is as great as they say i'd love to have it but the idea of a needle in my back makes me want to go back 9 months and make him put a condom on... but basically has anyone or do you know of anyway that they will like sedate you just to get the iv into your hand or to calm you down before they start anything else...

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 1:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i am DEATHLY afraid of needles..and like you, nothing else but getting the IV scares the shit out of me. they gave me a numbing shot before they put the IV in..the numbing shot doesnt hurt at all..that damn IV DOES..and as for the Epidural, you're in sooo much pain that you're begging for it and all you feel is the tiny little prick from the numbing shot needle and then you only feel pressure after that.. im so glad im not the only one whos only afraid of the IV and not the labor.lol.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I'm a HUGE wuss when it comes to needles too. My nurse was super nice. She actually gave me a numbing shot before she gave me an iv. I didn't feel the IV at all. And just so you know the IV's now are plastic and not a needle in your hand or arm.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Well i had my son when i was 18 and it was my very first IV i was very nerves! I HATED NEEDLES but when u get prego u get kinda use to that .... well when i went in to have my son they took like 6 tubes of blood and they used the same hole and needle that they did the IV in and it just feels like a shot . If u are anything like me then u will get nerves and u may get light headed IF they take all that blood too but i promise its almost like a shot !!! I was worried about the same thing but hey im still living
    treysmama06

Answer by treysmama06 at 1:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Doubtful. But you could just refuse the IV. I mean.. they can't put it in there unless you say they can. What are they going to do? Kick you out on the curb in labor because you don't want an IV? People have babies at home & at birthing centers & in hospitals with midwives ALL the time w/o IVs. Just refuse to accept it if you feel that strongly about it.

I had to fight for general anesthesia during my Csections instead of the epidural --- but I won. Three times. They'll tell you that's just the way it's done or that you have to have it... but I'm proof --- lies! LOL

G'luck (btw ---- the IV's really not bad... not that that makes you feel any better LOL... )
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• lol it doesn't make me feel much better... and i can't refuse it because i have to have antibiotics during labor
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If you can tell them to wait until you are in active labor. This way you won't care what they are doing to you. When I was in active labor I got 3 IV's! Didn't feel a one! LOL I was so busy thinking about the labor pains, nothing else bothered me. Good Luck!
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 1:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Try to get some info and support--  knowing that you don't have to suffer through childbirth!

You don't have to do anything you do not want.

If you choose to have antibiotics this is something that you'll have to work with.  But you certainly don't need to do this if you'd rather not.

For many reasons I know I would refuse an IV in labor.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Well take a deep breath and do it. I hate needles too but it's part of pregnancy and by that time, when your in labor, maybe the IV won't be so bad.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I think you just find a way to deal with it. If they think you need anti-biotics I dont' think it would be wise to refuse them.....and there are other reasons why you might need and iv as well anyway. People do have babies out in fields.....but the infant and mother mortality rate is much higher than in hospitals with medical treatment available. It is good to have an idea of what you want, but you can't plan out how you will have your baby to the last detail and expect it to go that way. good luck! The iv needle isn't bad....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:09 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I am the same way as you.
    They sprayed me with a numbing agent prior to inserting the IV and epidural and it helped.
    It also helped to have my husband's hand to squeeze even though I was looking away.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2008