If they tell you your kid hit another kid in his face with ducktape and bruised him would you spank your kid or not?

nobody saw but they just assume my 3 yr old kid hit the other 2 yr old kid because they saw him playing with duck tape. but when I turned to look i saw the lil kid by the chair and table so i dont know if he actually crashed into that. I got after my son but I didnt spank him because I didnt see him hit the other lil kid. am I right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think you are in the right. You did not see it happen. I think just talking to him about it is enough, after all he is only three.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• he is old enough to answer if you ask him "did you hit the other little boy?", if he says no, then drop it, cause nobody saw him do it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 2:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• even if he did do it, i wouldnt hit him. What kind of message are you sending your child...
    ::SMACK:: "don't hit!!!"

doesnt make sense, tell them not to hit yet you hit them back?

i would do a different punishment.
    but i would ask him what happened first.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It's tough when you don't know what really happened, why discipline your child ina harsh manner if it may have been an accident. I do agree with the PP about why spank him when he is in trouble for hitting. It shows that you fight violence with violence.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I never spank my kids, so idk
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It never makes sense to hit someone for hitting someone to show that hitting people is wrong.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Naw, I wouldn't spank him even if I did see him do it.
    I would teach him to apologize to the boy and then talk to him as best as I could at his age level explaining that hitting is not right. If he is old enough for a time-out, then that would be an appropriate punishment.
    I would make sure to take care of the boy who got hurt by placing an ice pack on his bruise or something.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I think it is a moot point now. Whatever discipline that was chosen should have been done at the time of the incident. Had I seen him hit the other child in the face, I would definitely have spanked him after explaining to him exactly what he had done wrong and that it was my responsibility as his parent to punish bad behavior. I'm not sure what I would have done if I hadn't seen him commit the crime. It would depend in part on whether that would have been consistent with the way he usually behaves as well as other factors.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Unless I saw it happen or I trust who I'm getting the information from I would talk to my child first and if they said they did it then I would punish him.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No, but I don't spank. My kids aren't hit so they don't hit people either. None of them has ever been in a fight or anything so I'm not sure how I'd handle that.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008