Too babyish stuff ..... is 1st grade about that age?

My son seems to be at an awkward age of him and his friends being obsessed with things being too babyish. They're all looked down upon for SOMETHING. Boy 1 wears pullups to bed still. Boy 2 wears a lot of cartoon type clothes (thomas the train, etc) and my son is the only one of the 3 that is in a 5 point carseat harness still. They're the 3 musketeers but they torment one another on these things so viciously.

Now I am meal planning for school lunches and am TERRIFIED my sons fave munchies will get him teased.

Is entering 1st grade pretty standard for this behavior starting? Last year, kindergarten, the boys were nothing like this. Anything went and everything was cool & awesome

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2011 in

• I dont think this is normal, but every class is different, kids will find something to pick on another about, even if it seems so silly ( like the careseat thing, lol thats the best they can come up with, thats good then ) I would mention it too the teacher though she should have noticed it by now and hopefully can stop it in class anyhow.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• i think its typical to have some things that are seen as babyish...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• I think it is typical
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 11:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• Yup normal.
    Kindergaden everything is new. But now they are 1st graders and the little kids look up to them. They are too old for "baby" things. lol perfectly normal
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Kids will be kids. This is a good opportunity to teach him how to handle his "friends"....but you may want to gently let all three of them know to knock it off.
    donegal11

Answer by donegal11 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• It is pretty standard. I have 5 and the youngest just started 1st grade. I think they see themselves as *big kids* once they get into 1st so they start to tease each other and start with the peer pressure. Only one of mine has had a real problem with it. The others took my advice and told other kids so what if I like this? What you think is not my problem.

Answer by gemgem at 9:18 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Not around here. No one ever engages in that kind of teasing. My son is going into 2nd grade and the other kids could care less about such things.
    mama_dearie

Answer by mama_dearie at 4:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Typical boys, It doesnt matter they will always tease each other, but they get worse in 2nd LOL
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I think its normal...kids make fun of other kids....childs play if you will. I would expect it as soon as they get into school.. it sucks though.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 11:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• I think kids are just vicious. but as long as it doesn't bother your son, I'd think they will grow out of it!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2011