Is expecting your child to make honor roll a reasonable request?

Not necessarily A honor roll. B honor roll would still allow some wiggle room for not completely understanding a lesson or writing a bad paper, etc.

I want to consider honor roll an expectation for the school year. In my opinion that means you're paying attn. to every lesson and giving every assignment the hard work it deserves.

Is it, in fact, asking too much of a child?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2011 in

• as long as they don't have a learning disability,no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• Not at all your there to learn and do your best

lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• As long as they are capable of it and are at least trying their best. Even if you don't have a learning disability, some subjects are just tougher for some people.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• I don't expect it of my children. My kids put enough pressure on themselves, they don't need any extra from me.
    My oldest has been on honor roll since beginning middle school. His sister isn't quite there and struggles with some subjects. I tell her that I expect her to turn in all assignments and I monitor her work.That is enough for now
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• I think it can out pressure on, I dont think if a child is not on A B honor role necessarily means they are not paying attn in class and not giving each assignment the work it deserves, I will expect my child to do their best, one childs best is not the same as the next childs best.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• As long as they aren't pressured or have a learning disability.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• What is honor roll? Sorry, I'm from the UK and I've always sort of wondered - sorry that it's off topic!
    momof52011

Answer by momof52011 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• Depends on the child but I expected no less than a B from both of my children and A's in certain subjects. The first time one of mine got a C they cried but I also knew that my son in this case had worded extremely hard for that C I was not upset at him at all.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• Expecting your child to do their best is a reasonable request. Offering incentives to work for the honor roll is reasonable. Not all kids can make A or B honor roll....for some kids making the A honor roll takes no effort at all others can work really hard for a C average.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• For some yes. There was no way my sister was getting honor roll ever, but I was very capable of it and got mad at myself when I didn't. My parents never expected it from either of us, but they did expect that we try our best and knew that we did because they helped and were involved in our homework every night.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2011