Being to protective over my 17 year old daughter

My daughter is 17 and she is a very good kid. Don't get me wrong, I know shes a teenager, but I have always told her if I EVER caught her in a lie, then the trust would be gone, and I don't get over things easy. Ok, my question is.... My daughter wants to meet a guy tomorrow for lunch, I have never met the guy, seen the guy, I know nothing about him. I told her that I wanted to come by where they are eatting and just say hi to him. I feel that I need to know something about a guy thats with my daughter. My daughter says I'm being way over protective, I disagree. She is my daughter and I have every right to do what I feel is right to keep her safe. I do trust her, its the people you don't know you need to worry a little about. Do you Moms think I'm being over protective? Be honest, and please don't be mean.

TammyG.

Asked by TammyG. at 2:09 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Certainly not too overprotective! That's a very loving thing to do and I hope she has the good sense to appreciate it!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I think you have every right to meet and approve of this guy. You are her mother and you have to do what you can to protect her, even if she is 17.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 2:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No I dont think you are over protective. My daughter is 11 going on 12 in Feb. She has a boyfriend that she is only allowed to talk to at school and by the phone. I totally dont let them be together and always sit next to her. As for your daughter I think you should just trust her enough but still meet the kid. I would meet him and then tell your daughter a set time to meet you or be home. At least she is telling you some of my friends have teen daughters and they sneek around. But I would give her a little room to hang out with friends.
    momof5kidz

Answer by momof5kidz at 2:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No, ithink parents should know all friends boys or girls, relationships, whatever. Its your baby, your child. You should know who they are with. Its nothing weird, just tell her you would like to meet thi person because they are special to her. and if they are special to her they are special to you.....
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i think you should meet him first as well.
    but i think you should meet him BEFORE she goes to where they are eating. then what is the point in meeting him if they are already out somewhere.

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:39 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I do think you're being over protective, yet totally 100% understand your concern. At 17 she is so close to being an adult that it's hard to step in and figure out how much to treat her like a child and how much like an adult. Just think back to when you were her age and dating would you want your parents busting in on a first date when you yourself are trying to get to know the person. Not everyone your daughter dates is going to end up coming home to meet the parents, some she just isn't going to feel are worth it. If you go there it may or may not scare a good guy off because he isn't sure of it either. Just encourage your daughter to make smart choices and stay in public places.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I agree with Kelso that you should just have him stop by the house, meet you and pick her up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2008