• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my son to understand he can't wet his pants?

My son just turned 4 y/o a week ago. He uses the potty fine until we put normal underwear on him. Put normal underwear on him and you will end up with a wet floor. This has me confused b/c he doesn't wet his pull ups, only the normal underwear. Plus he is the one that picked out the 100's of normal underwear and he is the one that wants to wear them. When he wets the underwear, I tell him to please change them and lets try again. I've been going threw this for 2 yrs now. I need help! Thank you!!

lighthouse98

Asked by lighthouse98 at 2:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes....make him clean up the mess. make him clean the floor, put his wet clothes in the washer, etc. it will get old to him after awhile lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• toughy. when my daughter wet her pants i was getting fed up so one day i left a present outside the door and said it was from santa with a note. i read her the note and i just read that she needs to go on the potty so santa can give her diapers to the babies and they can learn to go peepee ont he potty. and if she went pee pee on the pottty he owuld bring her more presnets. so when she opened the presents they were just littel dollar stuff toys adn i told her that santa wanted her diapers, so she put her diapers outside ..5min they were gone!! and a hour later she went ont he potty and only had a few accidents here and there not often tho
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 2:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Many moms rinse children this old (who know perfectly well where the toilet is and choose to not use it for no good reason) in a cool shower every time they have "accidents". I've not heard of a child yet who continued these "accidents" after a couple of days with mom consistently giving a cool shower. I DO NOT mean a cold shower. Just not a warm and cozy one. Something slightly uncomfortable, but that doesn't bring screams and tears. Children like comfort and will seek the path of least resistance.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I had mine wipe the floor where they peed and then they did not go back and do it again.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• When my boys were going through that and KNEW how to use the potty but would still pee in their pants...I finally made them start cleaning themselves up. They hated touching their wet clothes to get them off. I stopped helping them. If they wanted to pee in them, they could take the wet ones off and find some dry ones. It worked for my kids...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2008