how would you take this?

on shower invites we are inviting only the girls :) and on the invites we are sending, we are only putting the adults on the envelopes.

So my question is, if you have a child and they are a girl, and the invite only has your name on it, would you still bring your daughter?

Assuming you have someone to watch your daughter anyway, would you still bring your daughter or would you take it as only an adult thing?

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 2:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i would still bring my daughter.. i dont see the problem with it depending on how old she is
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 2:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Unless it said adults only I think most people would assume it's ok. Most of the time there have been kids at the showers I've been to.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 2:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No i would not bring my daughter. I am able to understand the idea of if yours is the only name on the invite you are the only one invited...unless otherwise stated by the hostess. Clearly if children were welcome it would have said it on the invitation, such as Children Welcome, or the child's name specifically. Some people were just not brought up to understand, respect and practice proper etiquette (it just doesnt seem like it is important to people any longer)
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Thank YOU renee!
    I was beginning to wonder if i was the only one taught this!
    If others were invited (children or not) it would say so somewhere in the invitation like at the bottom (children welcome, or little ladies welcome or something since she is sticking to the women only theme)

i would never bring someone that wasnt on an invite. unless it said like +1 or something
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i would clarify either way wether children (girls) are invited or not. you're still going to have ladies calling asking if its ok to bring their kid or just bring them.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My daughter goes everywhere so if she cant go i dont go... sad but true!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Why would I assume my daughter was invited to a shower if I got an invite with my name on it? When did this start to be the norm? I must have missed the memo on that one!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• When I RSVP to the invitation I would ask then if my daughter would be allowed to attend, as well.
    If my daughter were old enough to behave and sit still then the hostess would take that into consideration, but I would never dream of asking if I had a toddler or a child who could not control herself.
    Ask first - it is the polite thing to do.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I am a little confused as to why you would not want children there at all. The last baby shower I went to I did not bring my daughter because I felt that she would not be able to sit still. I would hope most parents would be able to evaluate whether their child could behave or not. If this was a bridal shower I could completely understand but my daughter is 3 now and knows how she is to behave and if she started to misbehave I would leave so not to disrupt the party. This is to celebrate the arrival of a new baby and many children love the thought of a new baby or the idea of any type of party. I do agree with BallardMomma my daughter goes everywhere with me and if one of my good friends stated that my daughters were not welcome to their baby shower I would be offended. Again this would be different if it was a wedding, bridal shower or just an adult only party but not to a baby shower.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• The rule of etiquette is that only the people named on an invitation are actually invited. Unfortunately, most people do not know this. We invited adults only to our wedding, but when people RSVP'd, they wrote in the names of their entire family (kids, too) on the reply cards. So I wouldn't assume that people will catch on. But the truth is, that kids can add a lot of fun to a special event - they certainly didn't ruin our wedding (no screaming babies), and they were a lot of fun to watch dancing at the reception. You could always hire a sitter and set them up with toys in a different room if you want the time alone with your friends! Good luck!
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2008