Why do parents think because the name is spelled different but pronounced the same it's special?

like Matthew vs Mathew or Madison vs Maddison or Madyson? It's still SAID the same it doesn't make it different or special.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Just for Fun

• The book, "Freakonomics" is dead on when it comes to names! As a Kindergarten teacher, I can see how names have spun out of control! And many of the older teachers, DO have preconceived notions of what to expect from some children even before meeting them. To a degree girls can get away with "cutesy" spellings of their names...but ENOUGH already with the Kyleighs, Kandies, Kelleighs, Korinnahs, and Kaylees. In a MOTHER'S quest (cause you know fathers are NOT the one's coming up with these names) to be different, these names are all beginning to SOUND THE SAME! I had a student named "Unique" (U-nee-Kay)! Can you envision a future CEO or POTUS with that name/pronunciation?! Sorry, but there's something to be said for TRADITIONALLY accepted variations/pronunciation. Why no let your child DEVELOP their OWN uniqueness by the things he/she does, not by what your call him/her?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• who says which way is the WAY to spell it though?
    riddle me that lol
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I guess it is up to the parents. I personally am not fond of what I call creative spelling of names but that is just me. I just make sure to ask Everyone how they spell their name (I work in childcare settings) so I dont get it wrong.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I spell my sons name Shawn as opposed to sean. I don't think it makes his name special I'm just fond of the way it looks when written. I prefer that spelling over another. Some parents like a name but want to give it a bit of a unique touch and the way they spell it can do that.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Shawn vs Sean isn't bad, but some other's are, creative spelling is weird though (agreeing with renee)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• What concerns me more so is the ones with the creative names i.e apple, Ireland, Bronx Mowgli
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• what's funny is, children don't realize their names are spelled differently until it is pointed out to them, usually in a questionable fashion. i remember getting weirded out by teachers who would ask me, 'how do you spell your name...lisa, leisa, leesa,leasa,etc?' in my world, the only way to spell it was 'lisa', and that was right....makes you think about many different topics concerning children, eh?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I hate misspelled names.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I hate those "creative" spellings. Its one thing if say there is more then one way to spell it that is accepted..like the Shawn or Sean. How many other ways are there to spell that name? None as far as I know but you are bound to find someone wanting to mess it up by doing "Cean" or "Shyawn" or maybe "Chawn". Like you could spell Mary or Merry. I went to school with a "Mari" (and everyone was always thinking her name was Marie). So much confusion for no good reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• haha like Emmaleigh (Emily?) LOL poor kid!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Dec. 29, 2008