Help me decide please!!!

OK right now my dd goes to head-start and is in a all girl class. She says she wants to continue going to an all girl school when she goes to kindergarten and so on. What would be the up side and down side to this? I don't want to make a decision without knowing the pros and cons. I never went to an all girl school or know anyone who has. So can you ladies please help me??? TIA.

BIMOM21

Asked by BIMOM21 at 2:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think a year at a school with boys and girls would give her a better understanding and then let her make the decision
    davidsmom01

Answer by davidsmom01 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Here a few links tha tmight help you o ut

http://www.elmwood.ca/documents/academics/allgirls.pdf

http://educationalissues.suite101.com/article.cfm/pros_and_cons_of_samesex_classrooms
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I would say that one of the ups would be that they don't have the boys learning differences to deal with. My dd had a problem with seeing that the boys were better at math than her. They picked up on concepts in one try and it took her two tries on so she was bad at math. But the upside of having them all together is that they see that they can over come these differences and be equal or better then the boys so not to worry.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• At least age I don't know if there is pros and cons. Later the pros might be no boys to compete over and the con would be girls can be sooooooooo mean.

Good luck.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• there is some research that says the girls (and boys) do better academically in a unisex situation. If she really wants to I would think about going ahead and then providing afterschool activities that are with boys (like soccer or other sports)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If I had gone to an all girls school I probably would have had no friends. I got along better with the boys.
    Anonymous