My almost 4 year old is a VERY loud talker.....

My daughter will be 4 in April and she is such a loud talker... almost to the point of screaming at times. She has an indoor voice too..she just chooses not to use it that often. I can over look it for the most part or correct her, but my husband looses it when she starts talking loudly. What can I do to break her of this habit?

All4Him615

Asked by All4Him615 at 3:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• everytime she is loud quietly not a whisper though, say shh inside voices sweetie...
    shell probably catch on.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My 7 year old ss is like that. It gets on my nerves because sometimes he's so loud he will wake the baby up from across the house with the bedroom door closed. We constantly remind him to keep his voice down, but that only works a few minutes. If you figure something out let me know!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Definantly agree that when she starts talking loud both you and your husband speak very quietly/whisper to her. I also would consider taking her to an audiologist just to make sure because sometimes children speak louder because they dont hear themselves in their own head (for lack of better words) so then they think if they dont hear themselves then they need to speak louder without realizing it is Very loud to everyone else.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 3:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• think maybe she's trying to get attention, perhaps from daddy? since he's the one who has a bigger problem with it..idk..does she use her 'louder' voice more when he's around, and perhaps doing other things? maybe he should be more attentive to her, and not 'lose it'..he should be the one who learns how to talk to her in a quiet voice.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• wth? im sorry not to be rude, but what part of her question mentioned the dad? i think i missed something ? :( lol
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• wth??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• reread it, honey. she said 'my husband loses it when she starts ...'..
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• oh LMFAO hahah see i did miss something... lol i even re-read it like 4 times lol.. maybe its just REALLY late for me or something ha
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• that's ok....
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Spend time training for this each day. Call it her "quiet talking practice time" or something. Start with 5-10 minutes and let her talk all she wants. Give her a bowl in plain view with 2 pieces of candy in it. Add a piece to the bowl each 5 minutes that she stays quiet talking. Take one out when she talks too loudly. Add 5 minutes every couple of days until she's in the habit of talking quietly for 30-45 minutes without thinking about it. Will this take lots of time? Yes. But that's ok. She will grow into a habit of talking correctly. As she gets to where she can do it for longer lengths of time, start with an empty bowl and make her earn all the candy she gets. If you don't allow candy, use grapes!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2008