this kinda irritates me.

i just noticed on another post a woman answered the question about parenting by saying
"i am an older mom, and i....."

what does being older have to do with anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• isn't it that age old saying "older is wiser". I don't know I get annoyed with that too. I know a 35 year old woman who has a 3 yr old just like me and she is always talking about her age makes her a better parent. The only thing it makes her (in my opinion) is older .
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• they think they know better....but in a lot of cases it just means they're out of touch. this gets on my nerves too!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• ew yeah that would irritate me also. haha yea it does only make them older.

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I know an "older" mom too. Yep, she's wise alright.
    She can't find a man to settle down with so she goes from man to man.
    She's had 4 kids, and let them be exposed to many abusive men.
    She let her kids party, drink, smoke weed and have sex whenever they wanted.
    She bummed off of her own kids....So wise.
    I'm a very young mom and would do none of these above!
    But because i'm young i'm not wise am I?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I've learned a lot from many wise older moms, but not all older moms are wise. I'm 33 so to some of you I'm "older"! LOL To some I am very young. It may have been meant in a condescending way, but it likely wasn't. (I haven't read it!) She may have just meant that she'd been there and done that and was offering her counsel from an older perspective. She may have more children that she's raised well (having more children doesn't make you wise either since some have more children but never raise them at all) and feel she can offer someone advice because one of hers is like the poster's.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Who cares, really. This place is full of people young and old that are full of shit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• omg there are so many young moms on here that haven't even popped one out that think they know everything! I wouldn't bother worrying about this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i'll tell you what the problem is...young people think they know everything, because they judge older people by what they see in the present..older people think they know everything because they judge younger people as having no experience in life. i've known young/older mothers who were great/not-so-great. you have to take it in perspective, feel out what they are saying..not have a damn chip on your shoulder because of your young age, or older/wiser life-experiences.
    older moms aren't out of touch, girls. they are just older. they have the same working body parts you do, they just aren't as firm...not that youth makes for firmer bodies/lots of flabby girls out there.sometimes you can learn from someone older, if not just by listening to their experiences. life hasn't changed from age 20 to age 40+; in most instances, there is nothing you could do/experience that someone else hasn't already done. get over yourselves.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Its been 19 years since I had a baby and wow things have changed since then. As far as being wiser, as far as my girls go, yep I am. But do I know everything, nope, I sure don't..i have lived longer, thats all that I see, and that doesn't make me a better parent than a 20-25 year old, it just makes me an older parent with children. (as old as some of these on here. ). When my children start having my grandchildren I will be able to ask these young ones whats what on the market, and the reason is because they are the young moms who know whats out there,I sure don't, because its been 19 years.I am 49(ewwwww), but, still a mom, just been around a good while longer than quite of few of you.Wiser than all of you, Nope, older yep! I am never to old to learn!

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Experience? Some of us have learned from our mistakes so that we have a little bit of knowledge about what works and what does not work. Some of us have raised our own children and are now helping raise our grandchildren. I hope that counts for something!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2008