Is it possible to choose your emotions? Happy,sad,ect

Ok I'm feeling really down and I have been for a while, I'm just so sick and tired of being tired. Something has to change, my question is is it possible to choose your own happiness

themommy160

Asked by themommy160 at 3:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think so... sometimes i just tell myself
    "im going to be happy!" and ill force a smile on ... not for other people to see, but for ME to see, ill just smile, and ill feel a little better no matter what... idk i was always told to do this when i was younger too lol my mom would tell me to do it if i ever had a bad day at school and it seemed to help. :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I don't think you can choose it but I do think that you can fake it like you mean it and train yourself to feel that way. I suffer very badly at times from depression 99% of the world would never know because I've learned to hide it behind a mask of "good days and smiles'. While this might sound ridiculous it's helped me a ton, because by being depressed I can't get out of bed and if I do I'm setting myself up for a bad day, however if I pretend that today isn't such a bad day it turns out that things go pretty much ok for me.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yes, you can choose your emotions. I train my children from an early age to be happy and content. They don't walk around sad and angry. They don't throw fits. I wasn't so well trained and was allowed too wide a range of emotional responses that my mom thought was so healthy and she encouraged. Unfortunately, depression and anger fit me more easily than happiness and contentment. I still struggle with not walking this way as an adult. What helps me is to say to myself just what I say to my children and to expect myself to react just as I expect them to. I say "Change your attitude." They get only a few short minutes to obey that, so I give myself only a few minutes too. I'm getting better at it!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i've been told 'you can't control someone else's actions, but you can control your reaction'..if that's possible, then i'd think you can control your feelings of happiness/sad/mad/jealousy/etc. you make a decision to either control yourself, or wallow in it. when bad things happen, you will typically get mad/sad..but then get past it. not get over it, just move on. if you find yourself not doing this, you may need help professionally.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yes. People can turn a negative situation in to a positive one by reacting positive instead of negative. You can choose not to be sad, mad etc...Just like you choose to get mad, sad...etc..
    We are in complete control over our emotions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I don't believe happiness is an emotion, but more a way of life. Positive thinking is a choice, but I don't believe we can control our emotions exactly. We can deny them, we can push them down, we can ignore them, but there will be negative consequences. For example, if you lose a loved one, can you just "make" yourself happy about it? What if your spouse cheats on you? We have to grieve all that stuff instead of pushing it down and repressing it or it will come back to haunt us at the worst times. A lot of depression is actually misappropriated anger.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Well, you can't necessarily control when you feel bad, but you can control your response to it. How we choose to react to our emotions is important. I will be the first to admit that I don't always respond correctly. This is the place where addictions and coping mechanisms are formed. I think that if you have had this continuous problem, then you might need to see your doc or possibly a counselor. Its not normal to feel sad for that long. I can certainly relate.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• well, i did type a huge response about my personal experience, but when i hit the backspace, it went back to the previous page and i lost it all. so im just going to say this.... yes we can control our emotions...but you can get to a point when you cant....and then you have to go see your doctor. if you feel that you can not control it any longer...you need to get help. if you want to know my story or talk to me about what is going on, you can contact me.
    marci2babies

Answer by marci2babies at 10:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Think on happy thoughts. Establish your thinking to be positive. Is your cup half empty or half full? Read a good book,work on your garden, watch a funny movie :) If you need a good cry do it I have. Then pray.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 10:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yes. Start saying some positive affirmations. Such as "I have joy in my heart today". Then make yourself smile. You may feel like your mouth is going to crack at first but then it sort of becomes a habit you can't stop. Take a brisk walk. Take some long, slow deep breaths and drink plenty of water. Up your Vitamin C intake. Get some goofy movies to watch or get busy doing something that you know makes you happy, even singing. Get out of yourself. When you focus on making others happy, you stop worrying about yourself and in turn make yourself happy. And yes, I've had depression for 20+ years. I know what I'm talking about.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2008