Drinking & Breastfeeding.

I've read in several places that if you feel sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to breastfeed. But I seem to have a very high alcohol tolerance. For instance, we went out tonight, and I had a stoli collins, a vodka & coke, a long island iced tea, and a shot of jose. And I'm seriously not underexaggerating, I hardly even feel tipsy. I honestly feel like I could drive, and my DH agrees. But with how much I had to drink, I KNOW it's okay to breastfeed. So I'm starting to doubt that "rule". But what's with this high tolerance thing? I probably only drink once a month, if that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never heard the drinking and driving/breastfeeding thing. You know there's alcohol in your system. I wouldn't breastfeed if I had more than one drink between feedings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You definitely shouldn't drink, drive, and breastfeed for sure at the same time LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I agree if it's over one drink don't do it. That's what I've always heard. I've never heard the other one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Question Asker ----> I know I shouldn't breastfeed. But tonight is making me seriously doubt that rule. Even kellymom.com says that if you're okay to drive, you're okay to breastfeed.
    Anonymous

• I'd pump and dump the milk with that much alcohol in my system. No way does baby need that. I agree with PP - one drink is enough between feedings.

What's funny to me is that you feel ok to drive, but you typed "But with how much I had to drink, I KNOW it's okay to breastfeed. So I'm starting to doubt that "rule"." I know it's a typo, but maybe you think you feel better than you really do.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• you dont drink like that and breastfeed do you!?!? thats terrible what are you thinking
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 4:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• it depends on your body when its okay to breastfeed. i would sk your dr about how long he would suggest is okay to wait before breastfeeding again.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Well you could always buy a breathalyzer and do that before you bf!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• cuz even if u don't feel it, the alcohol is still in your system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Question Asker ----> I do breastfeed, and tonight was one of the few occasions where I went out and drank, but made sure I had enough pumped to last well over 24 hours. So thank you very much for your unneeded rude opinion. And to the poster before that, I'm saying that I feel fine to drive, but with how much I drank, it can't possibly be okay to breastfeed. And I've read several different places that that can be used as a way to determine if you're okay to BF....My point being, I don't believe that anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2008