I wanted to know if the bus aide for first grade autistic children is suppose to be seating down the whole time without even putting the seatbelt on them?

Last year their was another lady that everyday she'd get up to get my son at the entrance door and buckled him up then once she was done, the bus driver would take off, even afterschool she would bring him to me at the exit. Now this lady this year is way different, when they arrive shes seating down and my son has to get up the bus by himself and the bus driver gets his backpack and my son goes and sits without the seatbelt and the bus driver takes off. I personally dont think thats right, I was thinking of sending a note to the teacher to ask her about it because i'm afraid if I report it to the school bus department for her to end up finding out its me then she might treat my son bad. What would you do if you were me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Aug. 29, 2011 in

• My autistic son rides the bus
    In the morning I get on and buckle him in
    In the afternoon,his in school aide buckles him in

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• My DS rides the Sp bus this year for the first time so I little experience with this... The aide helps my son take off his back pack and tells him where to sit and in the after noon she helps him get his back pack on. The driver reminds him to use the hand rail... Of course my son is fairly high functioning. And I will be honest I didn't even know they had seat belts on his bus... it never came up... If you feel something that should be happening isn't I would def. call someone.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:20 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• In my district, they provide "cabs" (mostly SUVs) for special needs kids rather than a bus. My reaction would depend on the child's age and functioning level. If he wasn't able to buckle himself in, then someone needs to do it and I would ask about it without fear of retaliation. My 13 yo gets into the cab by himself and buckles himself in and has since I allowed him to ride the cab - before he was able to I drove him myself.

Answer by missanc at 9:24 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I would do it myself but the bus aide wont let us get on.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• my son's bus aid, walks to the door of the bus gets him in his seat and gets his seat belt on.. she also helps him to the door when its time to get off. if your that worried i would call the bus supervisor. the teachers dont deal with bus issues. they also should have video on the bus that they can reveiw to see if you child is going without his seat belt. if its in your IEP that he has to wear one... then the aid can get in trouble
    RaeTy

Answer by RaeTy at 9:31 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I'm not sure what it's like in the morning when the students are picked up at home but we did have this issue with some of the sped vans at the school I work at. Some drivers, (they only have aides if the students requires it) wouldn't put the students on and buckle them. (this is elem and some were too young or too severe to buckle themselves) They said it was our responsability. We got the principal involved and he told the drivers (after talking with the sped. department) that it's the drivers responsablity (or aide if there) to make sure the students are buckled and if they needed help they were the one's to buckle them. It was more saftey for the driver. If there was an accident they needed to make sure the students were restrained properly. I would call the school, sped. department then the bus company (if needed) and find out what the rules are.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Is this your son's personal 1:1 bus aide or a general aide for the entire bus? What does his IEP say regarding transportation? How old is your son and how severe is his disability? Have you discussed your concerns with his teacher? Could this perhaps be part of an attempt to teach him some ADL's?
    mama_dearie

Answer by mama_dearie at 3:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• our buses don't even have buckles!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2011