Can I have twins if my husband's mother is a twin?

In my family there are no twins and I was wondering if there is a possibility?
Thanks

maleik

Asked by maleik at 9:13 AM on Aug. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• sure

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• There's a possibility of you having twins no matter whether there are twins in the family at all. My mom is a twin and they say it skips a generation. Her and her sister are the only twins in the family.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:14 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Not as likely as if your mother was a twin. Identical twins are not hereditary they afun little tricks that natures pulls sometimes. Fraternal twins are hereditary on the womans side. Since two eggs have to be released for this to happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• It does go threw genorations my grandmother had twins & then my sister so it may or may not go to hi
    ...good luck
    babyjizmalife

Answer by babyjizmalife at 9:17 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Yup, there is a big possibility, then again you dont know when your going to have them. could be in your first pregnancy , second or third..
    Purpleloverof3

Answer by Purpleloverof3 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Anyone can have twins you just have a greater chance of it happening.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I always understood it that the man was not in any way able to pass twins as a hereditary trait since technically the man has nothing to do with it. On the other hand identical twins were just kind of a 'fluke' and anyone could have them.... I may be wrong.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:23 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Your husband's mother being a twin has nothing to do with whether your body releases two eggs or not. Identical twins are not hereditary.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:26 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• There is always a possibility. In our family twins run every other generation. My dad was a twin. I expect one of my kids to have twins sooner or later.

Answer by gemgem at 9:44 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• It is more common to have twins if they run on the mothers side. Men release a lot of sperm, woman usually only release one egg, so it is more likely to have twins if your egg splits after conception, or you release two (or more) eggs. Of course, you could be like in my case, where there are no twins on either side of the family, and still get twins!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2011