Daughter is traveling to AZ with BF and 11 month old, what to check, what to carry-on

LauraPPL

Asked by LauraPPL at 7:42 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Travel

• Be sure to pack at least 2 changes of clothes in the carry-on! The first time we travelled with my son, he had TWO blowout diapers - he'd NEVER had one before, and I was totally unprepared (only had one change of clothes). After the 2nd blowout, we had to wrap him in a blanket until we got our luggage from baggage claim! I felt SO bad!!!!!!
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• have her take the individual powder packets for bottles and then she can just add bottled water from the plane. And buy some new little toys to keep her occupied on the plane. A doodle thingy where you wipe it clean. She can draw and erase. I always purchased new items so that they didn't get so bored so qickly
    marihand

Answer by marihand at 12:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Kid-friendly snacks, too...like the gerber stars or something for him to munch on during take-off and landing when his ears may pop the most. I agree that new toys/books are a great idea, too - I always do that before we travel as well.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• thanks. I was wondering about an umbrella stroller as a carry on. If not they will have to carry her from baggage check in to baggage claim ! What do you do about the stroller?
    LauraPPL

Answer by LauraPPL at 7:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yes. A stroller is a good idea, too. They should let the agent at the gate know they have a stroller before boarding the plane. They will give them a valet ticket (and put a matching one on the stroller). Then they just leave it at the bottom of the jetway before they board the plane, and someone will stow it under the plane. When they get to the next airport, they will bring it back up to the jetway for them to pickup as they get off the plane.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• We always take our umbrella stroller as a carry on, but it ends up being used to carry the diaper bag, my purse, and our coats rather than our daughter---but still that's very useful! Bring lots of different snacks on the plane. I get through flights by slowly feeding my daughter one cheerio at a time.

I second the advice about the diapers/clothes changes. When flying back from Italy with our then 5-month old, she went through 3 outfits and 7 diapers in a 2-hour period. I ended the flight with only 2 wipes remaining in my diaper bag...
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009