Need help ladies. I have a 6 yr. old boy who I can't seem to get to clean his bottom good when he poops.

He has gone from just having skid marks in his underwear to it's almost like he just poops his pants. At home I help him get clean. And I have to admit I have never seen anyone have such sticky mess poop, even I have to work at it to get him good and clean. But at school it's a different story. Lots of days he even smells when he comes home. We have tried to tell him that if he keeps it up and keeps smelling he won't have any friends, and kids will make fun of him. Please, Please HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son whose autistic had the same issue. I had to retrain him. One thing is you might want your dh to go in the bathroom with him or take him with him and show him how to do it properly. Thats how we handled it and it worked. I dont know if he was embaressed to be treated like a small child or just didnt know how. Either way after that he did it correctly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• STORY OF MY LIFE! My son is 7 and been having "accidents" for a long time. At first I thought well, hes just being lazy but the more I watched him, the more I realized it was something more. He tends to get engrossed in tv or games or playing and began to hold it because he didn't want to go. He would have just a tiny bit of poop on him and just enough to smell. He would also do this in phases but it was hard to put any sort of pattern with it. The more he held it in, the more sticky and smelly it became. Thats an indicator that its been sitting in the intestines for too long. So the general diagnosis is constipation... but our problems have gotten worse. Because he has held it for so long, the sphincter muscle has weakened and now he has no ability to hold it at all. COnt
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• There is a name for the condition, but I am going to go ahead and take him into the doc after the 1st of the year to talk with him about what we can do. Last night he chose to hold it again but instead of the poop being gooey and sticky, it was loose and he did not make it to the bathroom. THere was poop all over the floor and the toilet. Talk about discusting and I told hubby that he was cleaning it up...LOL...Well, we did it together, but that was my final indicator that he has no more muscle control. I am trying to train him to sense when he has to go and not wait, but he told me that he has a hard time feeling when he has to go until its right there. At school, he has to give himself adequate time to get to the bathroom and I instructed his teachers to let him go everytime he asked. Its been a very frustrating experience and this has been going on since he was about 4 -5 yrs old.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Hummm.. I don't have a boy, but how about have him use either baby wipes or the flushable type after using the TP? We love our wipes, just don't flush them if they aren't meant to be flushed. He can take some in the travel packs, or have him disguise them in a cute container and make sure the teacher knows that he has to take them with him when he goes. My DH calls that SHARTING.. where you fart and a little poop comes out. LOL Gotta love men.
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 9:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I would also think about having him use flushable wipes (he can carry them in his pocket maybe for school) if he has such diff. to clean poop. and reteach him and go to the dr. to see if something is up
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My son was having a problem with that for awhile. I put baby wipes in the bathroom for him to use. I explain to him that he has to wipe until he sees nothing else on the toliet paper or else he will get swores on his butt and then i would have to take him to the doctors and that seemed to scare him a little bit and have not had a problem since.
    Angela1436

Answer by Angela1436 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If you think it is from sheer laziness...have you let HIM wash his underwear by hand??
    miskyes

Answer by miskyes at 11:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2009