Newborn feedings

I feed my newborn baby every 3 hours. I'm a first time mom and this is my first baby. What do you do when you miss a feeding? For example, you're suppose to give the baby the bottle at 3 am but then wake up at 4 am and give it to him then. Are you suppose to give him the bottle next time at 6 am or 7 am since you gave it to him at 4 am? I'm new at this and I want to make sure what to do if this were ever to happen. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• FINE, just give the next one the next time they wake up. Don't wake them to feed them. Sleeping thru the night without a feeding is an eventual goal ! Relax.
    LauraPPL

Answer by LauraPPL at 8:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It's fine, one hour off won't throw your baby off. When I was in the hospital it seemed like it took that long just to get him to wake up. But believe me when he is hungry he will definately let you know.
    mama28th

Answer by mama28th at 8:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Throw the clock out the window and feed on demand. As mentioned by mama28th, he will let you know when he is hungry.

If he's hungry, feed him. If he's not, don't. At this point, it doesn't matter what time it is.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:36 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yup- Follow his lead :) He will let you know. Are you exclusively formula feeding? Or breastfeeding too? I tell ya what! When I was with my first I was terrified of not doings right. It takes a bit but you will become VERY in tune with him and following his cues :) Sounds like you are doing great to worry, mama! Keep up the hard work :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 10:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• if ur going by the every 3 hour rule, give his next one 3 hours from when he had the last. newborns dont fit into a clockwork schedule, they make their own schedule. sometimes my newborn sleeps for 4 or 5 hours at night, and i just feed him when he wakes up, and the next one u just feed him when he seems hungry or if u want, 3 hours from the last. sometimes my son is hungry 2 hours later, sometimes 4, i just let him be the boss. and if it gets me 4 hours of straight sleep at night then yay!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008