Would you take cell phone away from newbie driver to keep safe?

My daughter is going to get her license this week and I'mworried about her cell phone usage while driving or preoccupation with it. I've threatened her with taking it away for the first month because she's not as serious about driving as I would like her to be. At one point, someone called when she was driving with me and she picked it up "just to check." I was so upset!!! Has anyone done this or has a rule or check up policy with their new driver???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 29, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I want to say I would but with the accident rates I would just try to get her to turn it off before she starts the car and to turn it back on once the car is off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• My son got his license last year and I did not take it from him. Him having it on him has been handy for me to check on him, or ask him to stop somewhere for me, or tell him things he forgot to take with him etc. My son however is very safe. He gets so mad when he sees people talking or texting while driving. He doesnt pick up when he is driving. I can call and leave a message and he will pull over and call me.

Answer by gemgem at 10:02 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I would hate for them not to have a cell if they got lost or stuck with car trouble but I totally see your point. I would maybe take the phone away but have a pre paid kind of phone in the trunk for emergencies and I mean like the minimum amount of minutes on it it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Only if her car had a service like on star so that she could get help if she needed it. Personally, I would prefer that I could get in touch with my child at any time. Maybe you should get her a hands free set for her car.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Just this morning, Fox news reported that an 18 yr old was texting while driving and veered into the oncoming lane. She it a large truck and it killed her and her 10 month old son.

If I even questioned my kids' ability to leave it alone, the phone would be gone.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• no i honestly wouldnt take it away for safety reasons, but i think i would enroll her in a safe driving class ( Triple A insurance has one ) .... the cover stuff like this in more detail than school or drive courses do
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Just a thought after reading all the responses...anyone stop to think about 10 years ago when very few people had a cell phone and there was no Onstar?

We still had the ability to get in touch with one another so a cell phone, IMO, is not something that is a necessity and if it's causing a distraction to driving, it should be removed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I don't think any teenager needs a cell phone and especially if they are just starting to drive. There has been way too many incidents involving people of all ages talking or texting while driving and I think it is just wrong if you can't pull over then don't answer it that is what voicemail is for; this is a thorn in my side and when I see people talking(or texting) while driving it makes me want to reach over grab their phone and hang it up and tell them to pay attention to their driving
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I was hit by a teenager that was talking and texting on the phone and talking to the other teenagers in the vehicle and if I wouldn't have swerved like I did she would have t-boned me and my boys were in the car at the time; as it was she still totaled my car; and set me to the hospital with neck and back injuries
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• You can get a phone that only allows 911 calls or calls to the police station, I would get her one, and leave the one she texts and junk with at home when she is driving alone.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:22 AM on Aug. 29, 2011