Would you risk an 8 mile taxi trip without a car seat for a toddler?

We are flying and he already has a car seat here at home and one where we are going, but we are taking a taxi to the airport. State law does not require a carseat in a taxi.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Travel

• Well every parent is different but I wouldn't do it personally! Anything can happen at any given time and I wouldn't feel safe if my child wasn't in a car seat. My grandparents owned a cab company in my hometown of Tahoe and they actually supplied the cabs with carseats (kept them in the trunk just in case they ever needed to be used)
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 1:15 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I would be terrified to do so.So I have to say that I probably wouldn't.It's more like "would you risk your childs life in a taxi ride without a carseat." Once put like that, the answer is "no".
    callico

Answer by callico at 2:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I also would not do it...You could always purchase a cheap one for 2o dollars..then give it away at airport..I would rather waste the money than risk childs life..But if you feel its safe, maybe small town? Then go ahead..it is your child I am sure you have the best intrest in mind..
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 2:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• To me it depends on the town and the time of day. If its 4pm in the Bay Area then oh gosh NO! New York at noon? Also a no-go! But a smaller town with less traffic then yes I have to say I would do it. Just being honest.
    adeuslove07

Answer by adeuslove07 at 3:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I would take a carseat in the Taxi...it's better to have 2 car seats and a child than to have 2 car seats and no child...
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 7:19 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• depending on the area and how much does your child weigh??
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Can't you just arrange for a friend or relative to drop you off, using the carseat. I'm sure you've thought of that, but unless you have on one at all to help, no I would not do the taxi ride without. I'm also surprised taxi's don't need carseats by law. I learned something new today.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I would not risk it. I can't believe that state law wouldn't require a car seat!
    Caitlynsmommy07

Answer by Caitlynsmommy07 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I have traveled with and without car seats in taxi cabs in areas that did not require a car seat once my daughter was over the age of 1...she was just fine...just be cautious. She's also traveled on planes, trains and buses without car seats. However, I wouldn't think of driving my car to the house next door without buckling her in!
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 9:53 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• As a taxi driver, I am concerned about not having child/infant car seats in some of the taxis.  I drive a Dodge Caravan taxi and I discovered that it did had two built in child seats, in the middle cab bench, but if you have a rear-facing child, like I do, I still have to pack him in his carseat.  But I can just strap my 2 year old in her built in seat. But in the State of Texas, taxi drivers aren't responsible the seatbelt safety of children and infants, the parents are.

mamadee1971

Answer by mamadee1971 at 2:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2009