My 8 month old will not drink his formula anymore

Don't turn this into a BF/formula debate...

He's been eating home made baby food since 4 months and just this past month has stopped eating that and moved on to table food. He doesn't want formula- not even from a cup. He wants FOOD and he eats all day long!

Is it okay that he's not drinking the formula? Should I call the Pedi and ask for some vitamins or something? I'm just worried that he's not getting the proper nutrition for a baby his age.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he really needs at least 16-24 oz of formula still due to the nutrients that come from it, id ask the ped. my daughter went through this around 7 1/2 months as well i end up giving her food when first wake up then a 8oz bottle before first nap then wakes up and solids then another bottle around 3:30-4 then solids at 6 and then her last 8 oz bottle at 8 when i lay her down
    Alcnic29

Answer by Alcnic29 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I have wasted a lot of formula making bottles for him that he flat out refuses to drink (he drinks one 4 oz bottle in the middle of the night and one 4 oz during the day, but not at one time- a little here and a little there). He usually takes one sip and spits it out- or won't even put the nipple in his mouth. I  tried to put it in his sippy cup, thinking perhaps he just doesn't want the bottle anymore, but the same thing happened. He will however eat regular food all day long and drink juice. I just don't see how I can force him to drink the formula. He looks healthy and isn't losing weight.

I just never had this happen so early with my other children!

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• How much juice is he getting? It's great that he's eating well, but what is he drinking? Is there a chance he's getting enough liquids from juice that he's not thirsty enough for the formula? I'd be thinking about this from two sides: is he getting enough liquids and is he getting enough of the protein/vitamin/mineral/fats goodness that formula has.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Cut back on the solids so he's hungry enough for the formula.

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• he needs to drink his formula... I would cut back on the foods and totally get rid of the juice (of coarse he'll choose that over formula, it's sugary!)
    You might want to check on how to make your own formula (that possibly tastes better) I know there are a lot of ladies on here that make their own. Here is a web site that has a recipe as well:
    http://www.cheeseslave.com/2008/09/29/how-to-make-homemade-baby-formula/

But he for sure still needs formula... it has all the proper amounts of healthy fats his body and brain needs to grow.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• We were introducing whole milk at 8 mos. We knew he wasn't lactose intolerant because he had already been eating cheese. We mixed formula with milk and phased out the formula as we emptied the can. He much prefers the milk... you may want to see if he prefers it chilled at this age, as well
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Give him the bottle or sippy cup before he is allowed to eat.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• o man don't give whole milk bad bad for their immune systems still poor baby needs all the nutrients from formula that milk doesn't even offer yet horrid advice!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• You can stop the formula, just make sure he's getting milk!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2011