Is my child the only one that wakes up crying EVERY time she opens her eyes???

She even sleeps in my room because she would wake up scared and scream in her own room. This is too much!! How do you handle it (IF my child is not the only one that does it)? It is very hard to wake up happy myself when I hear that noise the first thing in the morning, so...

EmmAlesh

Asked by EmmAlesh at 8:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• omg sorry to throw salt in your wound but my thirteen month old wakes up happy every morning i don't know how she does it it amazes the shit out of me she will wake up look at you hug you and say hiiii. it is so damn cute that you instantly have to be in a good mood. sorry. i have just never seen a child wake up like she does. i got lucky. sorry i couldnt help how old is she?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Its probably just a habit she has gotten herself into. I dont have that issue with my kids, and I have a 3.5 yr old now. She wakes up most of the time in a good mood. Maybe your child is having bad dreams or not sleeping well at night? I would monitor and see if its possible shes waking at night and not getting back to sleep so shes cranky in the morning. Or see if shes having nightmares. My son used to be cranky in the morning and turned out he was snoring at night and had sleep apnia. He had his tonsils out and was fine after.

Answer by gemgem at 8:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Awwwww youre not alone!!! My DD is 14 months (I know shes younger than yours) and cries every time she wakes in the middle of the night. Usually in the morning she is pretty happy to see me (this morning, she woke up, said. "a-bah!" leaned her head on me, and pooped. Shes sick so I was suprised to see her so happy!!) but after naps she usually wakes up crying. I dont know why she does, but she does!! Usually the only time she wakes up w/out crying after naps is if I nurse-napped her. Dont have suggestions, but youre not alone!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I used to babysit a five year old who woke up crying after every nap too! Just remembered, and thought I should add to my post . . .
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• maybe she is not getting enough sleep at night
    maybe she is having nightmares?
    MeNMy2Kids

Answer by MeNMy2Kids at 9:34 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• HMMMMMMMMM? She will probably grow out of it. I hadn't heard of that before. I know younger children will more, esp. if, their diaper is wet. I wish, I had a better answer. Maybe get her a pretty picture or new thing for her focus on, as soon as she wakes up That would give her something to look forward to, when she wakes? Divert, ya know.
    jennanicole

Answer by jennanicole at 10:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My son cries EVERYTIME he wakes up to. He is 1 1/2 and I can completely relate to the frustration of waking up to a crying child EVERYTIME you wake up. I have not talked to the Doc because I really don't see what she could do. It is not pain or being overtired I think it is an absolutely horrible habit he has formed. I have decided to just let him cry it out and let him know where I am so he can come to me when he wants. After about 10 min. or a drink of water he is usually okay. Please pray for me and I'll do the same for you. (I never had this problem with my five year old or infant.)
    Nicole110781

Answer by Nicole110781 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I have looked for an answer for this same problem. You are not alone. It appears as though some children do not wake up happy that they are in a crib or they are having trouble adjusting to wake time or they just want to see you and that's how they get you to come. I know it's not anything you are doing though because my 1st daughter woke up happy and played by herself forever until I was ready to get her, but then I had my 2nd daughter and did everything the same but they are drastically different. Daughter #2 wakes up from every nap and nighttime by crying and the crying gets louder and louder if we don't get her right away. I know it is stressful and a terrible way to wake up. I feel bad that I think, what's wrong with her?! But I know it's just different personalities. I hope that when she is a little older I can somehow teach her play when she wakes up.
    justcheerful

Answer by justcheerful at 4:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• MY DAUGHTER IS ALMOST 3. SHE HAS ALWAYS WOKEN UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT SCREAMING.. AROUND 2-4AM. WE USED TO HAVE A VERY HARD TIME GETTING HER TO SLEEP PERIOD. TRIED ALL KINDS OF THINGS LIKE READING, ROCKING, AND FINALLY RESORTED TO TV. WE PROBABLY USED THE TV FOR A YEAR.. AND GLAD TO SAY BUT NO LONGER USE IT.. SHE GOES TO BED AND FINALLY UNDERSTANDS ITS BED TIME, SO SHE JUST LAYS THERE SINGING TO HER BABIES OR TALKING OR WHATEVER. SHE STILL WAKES UP 2-4AM SCREAMING, COMES TO MY BED, I PUT HER BACK IN BED, 5 MINS LATER SHE STARTS SCREAMING AGAIN AND MY HUSBAND GOES IN TO SOOTHE HER AND WE R GOOD.. BUT, SHE SLEEPS FROM ABOUT 9 TO 7 OR 8AM. I CAN NOT LET HER TAKE NAPS BECAUSE WHEN SHE DOES, SHE WILL WAKE UP SCREAMING.. AND IT WILL GO ON FOR AN HOUR SOMETIMES MORE, AND WE FOUND THAT IF SHE TOOK NAPS SHE WOULDNT GO TO BED TILL ALMOST MIDNIGHT. I GO TO THE DR MONDAY.. HOPEFULLY WITH BETTER NEWS THAN TERRORS. BECAUSE ITS NOT.
    hayangelbabe26

Answer by hayangelbabe26 at 8:35 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I FORGOT TO MENTION. SHE IS POTTY TRAINED AND IN A TODDLER BED, SO ITS NOT FROM BEING IN A CRIB. AND WE ASK HER EVERY TIME SHE WAKES UP SCREAMING IF SHE HAS TO GO POTTY AND SHE CLEARLY STATES YES OR NO. SO I KNOW THOSE AREN'T THE REASONS EITHER. AND MY 2ND DAUGHTER SLEEPS JUST FINE.. TAKES ONE 2 HR NAP AT LUNCH AND THEN IS READY FOR BED BY 8 AND SLEEPS TILL I WAKE HER UP AT 9 SOMETIMES EVEN 10 LOL. DURING THAT TIME, MY OLDEST HAS BEEN UP IN MY BED WATCHING CARTOONS SINCE 8AM. (THE NURSE WAS PRETTY INSISTENT IT WAS NIGHT TERRORS.. I REALLY HOPE I CAN GET A BETTER ANSWER FOR U N I BOTH)
    hayangelbabe26

Answer by hayangelbabe26 at 8:38 PM on May. 13, 2011