What are some good gift ideas for a 12yo boy? My son's Birthday is on the 2nd of January.

MommyTatum

Asked by MommyTatum at 9:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Just a bizarre idea - but how about a checkbook to a "car account" with a good amount put into it (i.e. 200 bucks or something.) He can add to it throughout the year and you can contribute to it for Bdays and Christmas. At 16 I bet he'll really appreciate it.

A skateboard and gear if he doesn't have that stuff already

Anonymous

• Video GAMES always seem to be a winner here. Or a GC to let them pick their own out.
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 9:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Thanks! I know he would love a GC or cash....But I'd like to get him something special, too!
    MommyTatum

Answer by MommyTatum at 10:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Well My little brother is also turning 12 on the second of january and He loves trucks and cars to we got him models.
    almostamommyof2

Answer by almostamommyof2 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My son is turning 12 on January 9th and we buy him the 600pc or more sets of Bionicle or KNEX. He tells me all the time how much fun he has putting them together and then taking them apart to make something else. I would also suggest you get him some kind of rubbermaid container for him to store all the pieces or they will find their way into the vacuum cleaner one day. We have been buying him the ones that have dividers in them so he can sort out all the pieces.
    katsgoingkrazy

Answer by katsgoingkrazy at 12:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• How about something that he has to actually work at, think about, physically create, or learn with?
    Model cars or animals (there are some great ones out there), a telescope, chemistry set, ramp set for his bike or skateboard, etc.
    I love for my kids to have things to play with that don't do all the work for them.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My son turned 12 Dec 26 and I got him a video game and a skateboard. But I would suggest knee and elbow pads if you get him a skateboard.
    angiehowell

Answer by angiehowell at 3:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• All of these are great ideas. Is he having a party? If not, maybe you could take him and 2-4 friends to a movie and get pizza before/after?
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Sorry about the party part, I'm not sure if he wants one, he might think he's too old.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• What about a ripstick?
    dancemom3

Answer by dancemom3 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008