how do i stay awake?

Im 9-10 weeks prego and work a full time job. I have to be at work at 6am and i just cant stay awake... I end up putting my dead down and fall asleep. Any tips to stay awake?

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 9:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had a hard time with my first. I would walk around the building on each of my breaks and get fresh air. :)
    Not the advice anyone else is giving, but I had to have a coffee every morning or I would crash by 10am (I was getting up at 5 to leave for work by 6).
    Protein balanced with carbs is key for energy that lasts. Peanuts and fruit were my staples as well.
    Also, taking a nap during your lunch break (if you have one) is so helpful. Sometimes I wouldn't sleep, but just put my head down and close my eyes.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Not really other than it's life and you need to suck it up. LOL I have an almost one year old and am 19 weeks pregnant and it's a daily struggle, but like taking care of my daughter, working is a duty you NEED to do, you you just have to do it. I recommend having some crispy cold fruit like an apple and some juice and milk and ceal for breakfast to helo you stay awake. Snack of "smart" snacks when your feeling tired like more fresh fruit and peanut butter and crackers. Make sure you are drinking alot of water also, as dehydration can cause fatigue. Oh, and exercise .When you feel tired, do 10-15 jumping jacks or run in place for 5 minutes, That gets me going.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I notice a huge difference in my fatigue if I don't take my prenatals. Also, talk to your ob, they may be able to determine if you are lacking something, kwim? Good luck! I am not working outside the home but my youngest hardly sleeps during the day. I feel ya on the first trimester exhaustion! :(

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:39 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Take your vitamins, go to bed earlier and eat things like spaghetti and sandiwches so the sugar from the carbs can help keep you energized. Stay away from choc, and other sugary treats to get a sugar high bc you will just drop as quickly as the sugar picked you up. Carry peanut butter cookies, pb crackers, and orange juice for pick me ups.

Answer by gemgem at 9:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Also i have to work some night shifts till 10pm and then be back at 6am!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 9:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was the exact same way! I would bring my lunch and use my lunch hour to nap underneath my desk! You just have to take your vitamins, drink obscene amounts of water, and eat as healthy as possible! I slept ALL the time. When I didn't have to be somewhere or do something, I was sleeping! Growing a human is exhausting!!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 10:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Oh and if it is really really bad, you might want to be checked for low iron. Then you could take an iron supplement and that might help you a bit more. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Oh no....I remember those days of the first trimester all too well. Those were my "zombie" days. I couldn't stay awake for the life of me! I lost my job with my first pregnancy and I didn't work with my second two pregnancies, but I had other children to care for. It was a disaster until I became less of a "zombie."
    Best wishes to you sweetie.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008