Birth control

My fiance and I are not planning on another kid for a while. My previous birth control pill made my period stay on for a month straight. I don't want anything put in, like the ring, but one that will actually work without bad side affects.

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 9:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Health

• I've heard most of them do have side effects. Not to mention that those things in general can be unsafe. Talk to your doctor. Some are worse than others. Yaz seems to be a good one.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 9:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• if you don't mind the weight, try the depo shot. I have it now but I'm going to the ring next month, because I want to get back into my pre-pregnancy jeans. Okaaaay!
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 10:47 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• be careful with the depo.. I wouldn't suggest it as it really screwed with my system and took me 4 years to get preggo after (and I only got it twice) They say its fixed and its better now but it does cause weight gain and I just don't trust it. I would say if your ok with taking pills to go with the yaz.. but I have the ring so I'm really not too sure on the other ones.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• oh.. my doctor talked to me about the mirena tho.. if your thinking of waiting like 3-5 years that might be a good option for you!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• There are a lot of different choices out there, so I would talk to you doctor about them & possible side effects. There are different pills with different doses of hormones. I forget the one that I use to take, but it was a lower dosage of hormones, because I got migraines from the other ones. I do not recommend the depo shot, as I had that at one time. I skipped a period, had a period & didn't have another period for 9 mos. Plus, it made me break out all over my back. And I only had 1 shot. I had the implants too, they were fine. There's also the IUD, I have a friend that has one of these & she loves it...she has light to no periods at all. You could also search on line about the different choices that are out there so you will well informed when you see your doctor.

Kristie_S

Answer by Kristie_S at 2:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Ive been on many birthcontrol pills since i was young, because i was getting my period for two months, and terrible cramps. My favorite by far is the Nuva Ring, but like you said you dont want that- i would recommend trying seasonique or seasonale. Also, using a progestin supplement while on the pill helps to even out your hormones, thus reducing certain side effects. Its also usefull for women who have frequent headaches or migranes.
    tigertwelve

Answer by tigertwelve at 4:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008