• In the Spotlight:

What to call the new "Grandpa?"

My Dad passed away a little over two years ago. On January 3rd my Mom is getting married. My kids already have a pa-paw. They called my Dad Grandpa, so I dont want to use that.

If your Mom has remarried since you have had kids, what do the kids call her new husband? BTW the kids call my Mom, Nana.

PatCarMom

Asked by PatCarMom at 9:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• if my mom got remarried my oldes kids probably wouldn't refer to him as their grandgather their grandfather is a great strong loving man and he is the only grandfather they have had. so no one can take his place and i don't know what i would do with my younger child. that is a tough one
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Maybe they should just call him by his first name. If the kids feel differently as they get older and want to call him Grandpa I think that would be OK.

So sorry about your father.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My kids and neices and nephews call my step dad Pop-O They have always called my mom Mom-O.However, I have come to realize that kids make up their own names for their Grandparent/aunts/ect. My nieces and nephews all call me Sissy and I have no idea why. They call my Dad, Papaw but my step mom Cheryl (her name). I call my grandparents Granny and Pappy and Granny Dorothy and Papaw. I also have a Nanny and Pop Pop
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Sorry about your Father {{ HUGS }}

Are your kids old enough for you to ask what they want to call him? Every Grandparent deserves to have a "grandparent" name. When my MIL got remarried my sons were 5 and 7 and they called their new grandpa ...Grandpa Roy.... They started calling him Grandpa a couple of years later.
    My grandson calls my DH ...POP. I think that's a cute one. He's got 7 grandparents...so POP is a different one from the rest. He came up with it himself. He's 4.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Ask your mom's husband-to-be what he would like to be called. I'm sure he will be sensitive to the fact that your kids already called your Dad, Grandpa, and won't really expect them to call him that too. My kids call my Dad, PopPop, and call my fil, Poppa or Grandpa. They could even include his first name like the previous poster suggested, Poppa Joe, for example.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 10:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I think that if you get along with your moms husband then any name goes. If not then his first name should be fine. I'm about to be in the same situation. But my son is only 4 months old.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 10:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• what about paw paw,and what ever his name is like paw paw john.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Well... I think you should ask him how he'd like to be referred to with the children. He may not want to be called any of those names.
    My MIL isn't my hubby's Mother, so when I refer to her, I use her name but she's taught my kids to call her Nannie (I wasn't sure how to do it so I left it up to her).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• We have a Nannie/Poppie Nana and Paw Paw, A grandma (great grandma) but some like memaw and pepaw, Pa, Granny/Grandpa, Pops, Pop, and I've even heard of a Me Me. I'd ask what his preference is and if it's one of the ones you already use, just add his first/last name to it.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my DD is calling my FIL NuNu-because that is evidently Italian for Grandpa. So he is NuNu, MIL is NaNa......you could also use something like pop, or poppy (thats what I called my grandpa when I was little)
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2008