scared to death!

im pregnant with our first baby (18 weeks now) last night my friend had her baby and asked me to help her with everything because her and her husband both dont speak well english! i didnt stay in for the actual delivery since i might have just passed out but i saw them pop her water, empty her bladder, get the after birth and stitch her up..
i now am sooo scared of birth! had a nightmare last night and cant relax anymore. i mean i saw births on videos etc but i real life is a WHOLE different story!
any advice how to prepare myself?

glossyblack

Asked by glossyblack at 9:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well I think you pretty much prepared yourself by seeing it all. Just remember everyone's birthing experience is different.

This is funny but to actually help me with my first, I watched all those A baby Story programs on TLC and another baby show on Discovery health. You will be fine. Please don't think about that til it's time. Just enjoy being pregnant it's the most wonderful thing.

Congrats!
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I promise you, when it's time, you won't care about ANY of this. It's weird, you're brain does something. All you care about is pushing your baby out. If you have meds then you won't even feel it. Just try to relax, there is plenty of time to worry about that stuff later. When you are in the moment none of that bothers you all you can think of is your baby. Actually there is so much in-action during labor you are relieved that something is finally happening! Plus all the waiting during pregnancy. You'll be great! Congrats!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• A baby story was addictive when i was pregnant. The worst part of my labor was the contractions. one thing that is sooo true but you won't believe til it happens, is that you feel so much better when you see him/her. I had a mirror and saw the whole thing. Seeing the head makes you push yourself harder and block out everything else. Birth is not "a piece of cake" but its not the worst thing ever either. When you hit the end of your pregnancy you will be begging to get it out. lol. Good luck.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 10:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was terrified with my first when I found out I was pregnant. I had been to births and knew what would happen, kinda, and it scared the heck out of me. But I started reading about everything that my body was going through and started making decisions about how I wanted my birth to go. I watched A Baby Story and House of Babies... and knew that some of the things that were going on i didn't want to happen. I had to find out why somethings happened and what to do to encourage or discourage things. Information made me much calmer. :) But when the actual birth comes, your body knows what to do and if you just listen it will be fine. You don't notice everything that is going on around you because you are focused on what you are doing to bring your baby into the world.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was probably more afraid the second time around than I was my first, lol. Everything was fine but it does suck to think about stitches and afterbirth and in my case the biggest fear was pooping while giving birth. All of those fears went out of the window once it was time. You will be okay.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• The great thing about going through it yourself is that you don't have a birds-eye view of your perineum area. :) You will be focused on getting your baby out and then wanting to make sure he/she is okay and wanting to know exactly what the nurses are doing to him/her to make him/her cry...lol....while your OB is busy doing what they need to do to finish the birth.
    You'll be fine - promise.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• thank you very much for taking your time to answer, i feel better now. taking it one day at a time and lets all hope for natural births and no stitches =)
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 9:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• HELLO FRIEND-IT'S NATURAL TO BE AFRAID OF THE UNKNOWN.GIVING BIRTH IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE-(I.E. DURING MY LABOR THE WORST PART WAS THE CONTRACTIONS WHICH MADE MY BACK HURT BUT MY COUSIN DID NOT EVEN KNIOW SHE WAS IN LABOR UNTIL SHE WAS EXAMINED DURING A ROUTINE VISIT).MY PRAYER FOR YOU IS THAT IT GOES BY SMOOTH & UNEVENTFUL (WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS THAT IS) & THAT THE BABY IS BEAUTIFUL & HEALTHY.
    P.S. I'M ON BABY #2 & IT'S ONLY BEEN 2 1/2 YRS SINCE THE LAST ONE-I REMEMBER THE 1ST TIME & I PRAY THIS ONE GOES EVEN FASTER SO I CAN SEE MY NEW LITTLE MAN***BELIEVE ME I'M SCARED SH*TLESS BUT IT DIDN'T STOP ME FROM HAVING ANOTHER ONE & I AM NOT GOING TO THINK ABOUT IT UNTIL THAT TIME COMES BECAUSE IT CAN CONSUME YOU.
    SO THINK POSITIVE & AGAIN I PRAY YOU HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE.
    AND IT IS TRUE THAT EVEN IF YOU DO HAVE SOME PAIN OR DISCOMFORT YOU REALLY DO FORGET ALL ABOUT IT ONCE THE BABY IS IN YOUR ARMS-JUST WAIT YOU'LL SEE :)
    Tamaiiko

Answer by Tamaiiko at 7:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2008