When will they keep you?

I am 3cm dilated, 40% and -2 station as of a week ago. I know things have been changing and have been getting contractions (some pretty hard since like Thursday). Now I hear people say they 4cm they will sometimes keep you. I have my appt. here in two hours. Should I take my bag with me? I just have had this feeling that something is about ready to happen, no idea why (crazy I know and excited).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes take your bag with you. in fact, you should just go ahead and leave it in the car so you don't have to worry about it. Usually they wait for contractions to be longer, stronger, and closer together. But 4 cm means you are in active labor. If you live far from the hospital then they will most certainly keep you in just in case . Good luck and congrats!!!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• At the end of your pregnancy, it's always good to keep your bag handy. I kept mine in the trunk of my car.

Good luck and CONGRATS!!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 10:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i was 2 1/2 cm when they kept me but my mucus plug had come out and i had been in labor for about 6 hours. plus i tested positive for group B strep so i had to stay to get prepped for my IV. Take your bag. Congrats!!
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 10:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was at 1 when they kept me... I had some strong contractions that were not regular... they weren't even sure if I was actually going into labor because they were not even close to being regular... but they still kept me? And I had no complications my whole pregnancy? Lol I'm not sure why they kept me
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:36 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i was having contraction less than 5 min apart but they sent me home with a sleeping pill cuz i was only 3 cm. my water broke a couple hours later, so they had to keep me after that.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• They usually keep you at 4 or when contractions are 5 minutes apart for a good amount of time. You should always have your bag in the car and ready to go in the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy. Its just one less thing to worry about.

Answer by gemgem at 10:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Wow, thanks for posting this. I'm 38 wks preg and my hospital is an hour away, but I never thought about toting my bags to every prenatal appt. Probably a good idea, huh?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• They will keep you when you're 4 cm and contracting regularly but if you don't dilate 1 cm an hour after that they will start augmenting your labor with pitocin. Don't rush to the hospital unless you feel like you can't manage at home.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 10:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• That is what I am scared of.... spending hours in the hospital in labor. But I just keep remembering I'd get strong contractions with my 2nd and then they stopped. I was a little over 4cm, as soon as they broke my water things progressed and had her 4 1/2 hours later. Yes bag is packed, but I better stick it in the car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It really depends if you're having contractions or not. If you're 4 cm and no contractions then tney may send you home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2008