Strep throat and enlarged lymph nodes

On Christmas Day my son had a very high fever and swelling behind his right ear. By the end of the day he couldn't move his head. We ended up at the emergency room Christmas night. My thought, of course, was Meningitis. They tested my son for strep. He tested positive for strep. He also has tosilitis. My doctor tells me that these infections can cause the lymph nodes to swell. Has anyone experienced this? I'm so worried that there's something more going on. He's been on antibiotics for since Christmas Day, as well as Motrin. As long as he's on the Motrin he seems much better. As soon as it wears off, it's like he can't move his head again...... any advice? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like he's got Torticollis. My son developed this when he got another ear infection this past summer.

"It is most commonly seen in children aged 2-4, but the incidence in adults is increasing. Patients typically present with neck discomfort, fever, stridor, dysphagia, drooling, odynophagia, and respiratory distress. Other causes can be secondary to any infection involving surrounding tissue or structures of the neck including pharyngitis, tonsillitis, epiglottitis, sinusitis, otitis media, mastoiditis, myositis, tuberculosis, nasopharyngeal abscess, upper respiratory tract infections, and upper lobe pneumonias."

My son had the stiffness, couldn't turn his head, his head was tilited to one side and he had drooling. The pain would subside after Advil, but returned only after an hour or son. There's nothing they could do...it went away when the ear infection went away.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 10:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• strep can do that, but if he has been on the anitbiotics for a few days and is no better take him back to the doc--it may simply be the need for a stronger antibiotic
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• we had the same xmas day! same symptoms, same diagnosis, same meds! however, my son was feeling much better by friday evening (the next night), and the swelling had disappeared by saturday morning. he's not complaining about anything now..the doc told us if he didn't appear better by monday(today), we needed to come back in and they'd do a mononucleosis test(blood test). but, thank goodness, he feels normal, and is acting normal, too.
    hope your's gets better soon.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I used to get severe tonsilitis and ear infections. I always needed penicillin shots, as the oral medications were not strong enough. I think he should be feeling a little better at this point. I would take him back to the doctors.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 3:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2008