Strep throat and enlarged lymph nodes

On Christmas Day my son had a very high fever and swelling behind his right ear. By the end of the day he couldn't move his head. We ended up at the emergency room Christmas night. My thought, of course, was Meningitis. They tested my son for strep. He tested positive for strep. He also has tosilitis. My doctor tells me that these infections can cause the lymph nodes to swell. Has anyone experienced this? I'm so worried that there's something more going on. He's been on antibiotics for since Christmas Day, as well as Motrin. As long as he's on the Motrin he seems much better. As soon as it wears off, it's like he can't move his head again...... any advice? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Health

• I'm sure the enlarged lymph nodes are achy, which may be why he won't turn his head.. not saying for sure since I'm not a doctor.. but antibiotics usually take 3-4 days to fully take effect.. I would say that if you don't see any improvement in the size of the lymph nodes by tomorrow.. take him to your ped for further testing. Strep throat is a really common version of scarlett fever, so if the antibiotics aren't working I would definitely get him in.
    Motrin is an antiinflammatory which may be why he is able to turn his head better while he's on it too.. just thought of that :)
    Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My 5 year old had strep about a month ago, swollen glands as well, he started antibiotics and was feeling better for a few days then started feeling bad again, so we took him back to the dr. and started some stronger antibiotics for the strep. It's pretty common for the glands in the neck to swell and be very tender when you have strep. I would give him about a week and then if you feel he's not better take him to his ped.
    Anonymous