Strep throat and enlarged lymph nodes

On Christmas Day my son had a very high fever and swelling behind his right ear. By the end of the day he couldn't move his head. We ended up at the emergency room Christmas night. My thought, of course, was Meningitis. They tested my son for strep. He tested positive for strep. He also has tosilitis. My doctor tells me that these infections can cause the lymph nodes to swell. Has anyone experienced this? I'm so worried that there's something more going on. He's been on antibiotics for since Christmas Day, as well as Motrin. As long as he's on the Motrin he seems much better. As soon as it wears off, it's like he can't move his head again...... any advice? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My Son is on antibotics for Scarlatina. He experienced very bad headaches with a serious rash. I took him to the Dr's last Monday and she said he had mucus pockets down his throat (strep). I wouldn't be too alarmed as long as the motrin is working having said that I am not a Dr. just my thoughts. Hope your little guy gets well soon!
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Swollen lymph nodes are painful, during infection they swell up because they are helping fight the infection. Normal body response. It takes much longer for the nodes to return to normal size then it does for them to swell up.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• All of those things that you described go hand in hand with strepp. It totally sucks, but as long as he is taking the antibiotics, he should be fine within a week. I've had strepp so much in my life that I actually built up an immunity to the regular antibiotics and developed a "mutant" strain of it (i swear, that is actually what the doctor said). I had to switch to a stronger antibiotic to fight it off. If after a week he isn't any better, take him in to get another antibiotic, but usually the first set works. Good luck
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:47 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• The lymphatic system is part of the immune system. Every time you get a cold or infection of any kind, the lymph nodes may swell. It's normal.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You're doing the right things by taking him to the Dr. and doing what needs to be done. After he is off of the antibiotics, I would get him on a probiotic. Probiotics help boost a childs (or anyone's) immune system. Once our family started taking probiotics daily, we really saw a turn in our health and lack of all the other stuff that goes around. I use to get strepp several times a year but not anymore. Thank the Lord for that.

Make sure to keep hydrated. Would your son drink some warm tea? I think it would be easier to swallow than just water and the warm would help sooth his throat.
    Free2bmom

Answer by Free2bmom at 7:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Great advice from Free2bmom above; make sure you take probiotics anytime you're doing a course of antibiotics. Actually, you should always take them since a healthy immune system begins in the gut.
    Anonymous