Baby Cereals

My DD will be 4 months soon and i have been researching different baby cereals. so far i have read about whole grain, oatmeal, and rice. Is one better then the other or does it even matter?

KeagansMom08

Asked by KeagansMom08 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesnt matter. I feed my 4 and half months old oatmeal. Start out slow. Mix in with his formula just a little bit. It helps my son sleeps better at night. It sooths his little tummy!
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You should NEVER feed anything other than breastmilk/formula until AT LEAST 6 months. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html Baby cereal is actually not needed and you shuld'nt feed them at all since they contain to nutritional value of importnace that baby is not getting from breastmilk/formula. I started my daughter on potatoes. Then bananas.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• From my understanding... doctors like you to start with rice because for whatever reason it pervents allergey problems? But don't mix to much in at first... when I started my daughter... I did a 6 oz bottle and I used the formula scoop and added 2 scoops of cereal... now I add 5. It gives their body a chance to get use to it and it makes for a easier time later on in the day ;) A plugged up baby is a cranky baby
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I started feeding my baby cereal shortly after 2 months... shes fine... this is the way I put it... when did you get your period??? Because I got mine in 5th grade... every body develops at a different rate! Including our babys' bodies... if your doctor gave you the okay... then you should go ahead and do it!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Start with rice cereal first. Not sure, ask your pedi.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my pedi told me rice then oatmeal then barley Im not sure why but thats what he said
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 11:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Take some wallpaper paste and feed that to your baby. It's just as tasty and equally nutritious.

Which is to say...infant cereal has no real value. **grin**

The AAP recommends waiting till six months to start solids. And when you do, try mashed banana or avocado. Both are tastier and more nutritious and require no more preparation than mashing with a fork. You're more likely to get baby to accept something that tastes good than something that doesn't (and infant cereal DOESN'T).

Answer by gdiamante at 11:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• it doesnt matter they are both just as good .. i gave my dd rice first then oatmeal and she did fine ...
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Rice cereal is usually recommended to be the first. There are fewer allergies to it. I mixed mine with formula for the boys at first. Later when we started jarred foods, then I mixed the cereal in with the food to give it more texture (and I had two who wouldn't eat it unless it was THICK) For the record...I had one who could only eat rice and two who could only eat oatmeal. But no problems now.

As mentioned, cereal is not needed. It is for practice. You can hold off until later and simply start finger/table foods.

I would consider your pediatrician's advice to be more reliable than kellymom, however. Your pediatrician has a medical degree and knows YOUR child better than a website.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• navy wife get over it. regardless of what you say people are still going to feed their kids solids when they feel their children are ready, not when you say.

dtetz I started my period in 5th grade to! haha.

gdiamante I actually LOVE the taste of baby cereal. It's all I could keep down while I was pregnant and I ate it all day every day for a couple weeks!

As far as which cereal to start with, I understand that whole grain is harder for little babies to digest, so probably don't start out with that one. And I agree, don't raise your child solely on what kellymom says. Trust your instincts and talk to your pediatrician. Good luck! I'm excited for you!

julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 12:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008