Lice, how do we get rid of it. nix is not working

kandib676

Asked by kandib676 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2011 in Health

• Google Fairy Tales shampoo,, it will get rid of them as long as you take the other precautions.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Mayo and a shower cap. google it, my SIL uses it and it works like a charm without damaging hair!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Nix works when you follow all the directions carefully. Also, you have a LOT of house-hold clean-up to do.
    Nix kills the lice that are on the head. But not the lice that may have jumped off the head and into the carpet, bedding, hair brushes, etc.
    While shampooing the child, everything he may have touched in the past how-ever-many-days since he got infected - has to be cleaned. Things that cannot be washed need to be heated. YOu can toss pillows in the dryer on high heat to kill them. Scrub hairbrushes, rinse with scalding water. There should be detailed information on the web for a check-list of delousing instructions. And the Nix has to stay on the head for a while before shampooing out.Also, you have to comb and comb to get rid of the nits - the eggs. More info: http://www.headliceinfo.com/faqs.htm
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 5:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Olive oil will smother then and use a shower cap after you have the OO on. I'd still use the RID for clothes and to spray furniture. Put pillows in plastic bags for several days tied tight. If you are ok with using chemicals you can ask your doctor for a prescription for stronger shampoo than RID

Answer by admckenzie at 5:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• i have heard that teatree oil works just have never used it. i know for some wierd reason cocoanut oil, shampoo and conditioner work but you also have to use really hot water. my kids school nurse also recommends a hair dryer as they can not stand the heat. and of course drying all bedding lovies and such on the highest setting. if you can not try putting them in a contractor bag for like a month they should all suffocate and die. hope this helps and good luck.
    4g4b

Answer by 4g4b at 5:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I am a hairdresser...and went through my children having it years ago. Use REAL Mayo...take sections of hair and slather that stuff on. the purpose is to Kill all the live louse by smothering them. Leave it on for at least 12 hours. You'll need a plastic shower cap to protect the oils in the mayo from going all over the place. Then, once you shampoo all the mayo out take a comb...and itty bitty section by section, you go through the hair, and I Pulled the Whole piece of hair out and placed it in a plastic bag. I did Not take any chances for an egg to fall onto my floor so I just pulled the hair out. I don't know how old your child is...but mine was in middle school...so we watched movies and I got the job done. Vacuum everything...all stuffed animals seal up in black plastic bags for a month...and in 7 days..you may want to do Mayo treatment again just in case you missed an egg. Good luck..Don't panic
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I meant to say, I pulled the piece of hair out that had an egg on it, and placed it in the plastic bag, we've all pulled one hair out at a time and it really isn't painful..pulling a bunch at once is..but one little hair here and there...your hair sheds tons in a day anyway..and tons grows back constantly. My daughter had super thick hair and I found sliding that egg down the hair shaft was risky cause they are so tiny.
    Remember, while lice is such a huge scare amongst those who haven't had it, it isn't so contagious unless your hair sheds and has an egg on it. since the eggs are sticky, they attach to another childs clothes thus spreading it around. Lice don't jump from one head to another and they are content staying in your head. If it is a girl who has it....after you finish combing and picking out eggs.. straighten the hair with a hot iron...get all the way to scalp without burning of course...that should melt egg
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Scientist believe that 80% of lice are resistant to prescription and over-the counter treatments which often contain dangerous pesticides. I would never knowingly put a pesticide on my children - or anyone.
    Please refer to http://www.rmbarry.com/research/lice-melaleuca-oil.html for a safe alternative.
    Please feel free to contact me for more information.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2011