whining, crying and tantrums...help.

my son is 2.5 and recently gave up his pacifier all on his own, but now he gets upset and throws a fit about everything. i feel like i have tried everything, but nothing works. i need help. i cant stand the sound of his crying and whining and tantrums anymore...its driving me crazy. i also have a 6 month old daughter, so sometimes i feel like i cant handle all of the crying. another thing is that he is totally what i would call a daddy's baby. he favors my husband when he is home and is hanging onto him all the time and jealous whenever my husband does anything with the baby. he is pretty good when my husband is not around, but when he is around his behavior gets worse, constantly throwing a fit about everything. it wasnt so bad, but now my husband lost his job and he is home with the kids most all day everyday...so it has gotten a lot worse. sometimes i just feel like i cant cope with it anymore. any advice?

marci2babies

Asked by marci2babies at 11:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, before your husband lost his job, was the routine pretty stable? Did he get fussy when dad was home because of dad or because it was the end of the day. Kiddos take cues like that pretty seriously, he may be confused that dad is home now? Also, tantrums are pretty normal... I mean what exactly do you do when he throws one? I usually step over my son and keep on about my business. That isn't necessarily what you should do, but maybe having a plan for how to deal with each one will make it easier to take it one fit at a time. My fil assures me this stage doesn't last over 18 months as long as you make it clear that you are the boss during it :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 11:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Stepping over him and going about your business sounds like a good idea to me! That or giving him a time out in the corner with his teddy bear for a minute. Have you never heard of the terrible twos? LOL. He's learning that the sun doesn't rise and set on his shoulders. Trying to appease him by giving him toys, food, or rocking or other positive attention is rewarding the behavior. If you give him timeout, just do it matter-of-factly. Give him one of those wind up timers and tell him when it rings and if he's ready to play quietly or help you with the housework, he can leave the chair in the corner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• thanks for your responses. it is whenever my husband is around because it can be the end of the day and he can be acting up for my husband, but if he leaves the house, he is "normal" again. also, he doesnt like to listen to him, i think because he thinks he is his "friend". if daddy is around he wont listen to me either, but if daddy isnt around he is a good little boy, listens and behaves very well. of course i have heard of the terrible 2s...but that doesnt make it any easier. cont...
    marci2babies

Answer by marci2babies at 11:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• cont...yes i have tried ignoring it, but the problem is...when he is crying he rubs his eyes and nose and always ends up sticking his fingers up his nose while he is rubbing and has given himself a bloody nose quite a few times, so that is why i hate to just ignore it even though that is what i like to do. i have tried time outs. and i have also tried positive reinforcement. i have also tried redirection. when he gets mad and throws a fit he gets even more mad if you try to talk to him or touch him and it just gets worse. i have told my husband about the whole thing but he doesnt seem to believe that he is any different when he is not there.
    marci2babies