Dinner

My daughter who is 14 is starting to act out now that she is in middle school, she wants to always be out and never be home, I told her she needs to be in every night at 6:30pm for dinner with the family and homework, she says she doesn't want to and wants to be out, I told her no and that when she gets older her curfew will go up, what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think she's not old enough to have any freedom, and she just proved it to you. I would start picking her up at school and she would be spending her afternoons and evenings with the family. That way, she will be home when it's time for dinner. If she gets the homework done before dinner, I might let her watch an hour of television or a movie. Too much freedom too soon is a very big mistake. So I would reel her in right now and tell her she has a lot of growing up to do before she gets her freedom back again. If she gets her work all done, you can allow her to invite a friend or two over to your house, but the aimless roaming stops today!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I think that is very fair! I never had rules, which is why I never cared about anything. I wish my parents would have put their foot down like this
    Bertha21

Answer by Bertha21 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Honestly I think 6:30 is a little too early. Why not 7:30 or 8 pm?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Sounds fair to me. We always ate meals as a family and I plan on doing that with my little ones as well. I also was not allowed to do anything on school nights except for work.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• hold your ground. I wish I had dinner with my parents, we never did now we're not close
    Artist66

Answer by Artist66 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• 2libras because we do not eat dinner at 7:30pm or 8 its 6:30pm, Also 14 is a little bit young to have to much freedom, its not like she is 16-17 years old.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• On a school night 6:30 is a good time to be home unless sports or another school activity that will have he out later. She needs to eat and do homework.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• You are the mom. You set the rules. It's fair if you think it is.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• Nanny B hit it on the head. make her earn her freedom again. U are in charge. make that known now. I have great kids. It is because I have watched them like a hawk. Good Luck
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 6:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• I just don't feel comfortable a 14 year old being out late, we live in a very messed up work, when I was younger you could walk anywhere and parents wouldn't have to worry about their child getting abducted. Now there is so many kids getting abducted.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2011