Warning....Warning....Another religious question. Keep out of reach of the easily unnerved!!

(sorry....could not resist). Ok, so here we go.....I have seen quite a few posts on here from "christians" whom say that they are teaching their children all religions so that they can have the knowledge and choose what they want. Well, isn't that a contradiction to Christianity as a whole? We are to teach our children to love and know God. Anyone else confused by this one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• John 14:6
    Jesus answered, "I AM (Jesus) the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me (JESUS)

Jesus himself said there is only one way to his Father and that is thru him.. not Allah, buddah, mohammad, or any other idols.. only thru Christ..

My children need to be aware that we serve the only tru living GOD.. They will be taught about other religions yes.. but they will also be taught how to make a decision to have a personal relationship with Christ..
    jenandrews

Answer by jenandrews at 2:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Me being a christian I follow it but I don't push it and I do not go to church, I will bring my kids up with what I know but when they get older I will not be offended if they decide to follow another religion it is their choice and I will support them no matter what. I can see your confusion and I agree, but I don't know enough about other religions to begin teaching my children about them all, I can only teach them what I know and encourage them to learn about them all
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 1:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I am a Christian and I do teach my children the word of GOd.. I also am an example to them in my walk.. I can't just talk about what God is teaching but i must walk.. The bible says don't be only hearers of the word but doers as well.. So to talk and say i am Christian yet, i don't walk as a Christinan is a contradiction to God words. I do not push God on my children I do however teach them his word and what he expects of me as well as my children..
    jenandrews

Answer by jenandrews at 2:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I AGREE 100 PERCENT GREAT ANSWERS
    yumymommy

Answer by yumymommy at 2:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Yeah, that is kinda contradicting and seems like it would be confusing for a child. I am Christian and teach my children what I believe and what I learn. I also pray that they don't go off and start believing otherwise, when they are older. But I know and understand that they will make their own choices later as I have.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 7:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• As my son's mother, it is my duty to teach him the word of God; however, he is the one that must make the choice to follow it or not.  It's like they say: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. 
    proudmama2772

Answer by proudmama2772 at 7:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I completely agree. We teach our children what we believe (through talk and walk). As they get older we will teach them about other religions from a Christian perspective so they will have knowledge on how they differ from the scripture. I think it's great to want to have well-rounded children, but each parent that teaches their child other religions like they are all acceptable and has a child turn from Christ to them will be held responsible before God one day.

With that said, of course we can't make them believe. But I do rely on the scriptures that say "train up a child" :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I pay for my children to attend catholic school. At home those values are reinforced. I hope they stay catholic, marry catholic and raise their children catholic too. That being said, I will love, accept and respect my children if they choose another religion - just as my parents did when I chose to be catholic. I don't profess to teach my children the practice of other religions - only tolerance & respect. I do take some extra measures for them to appreciate the history of Judaism & Islam and to see the parallels between Christianity and the other monotheistic faiths because I want them to have a world view, but its not a "try one on and see how you like it" thing. We have a plaque in our house that reads:

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15

Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 9:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I believe that it depends on the AGE of the child! Young children would get confused and most likely would feel uncertain. I don't really want that for my kids. Right now because of their age, I'm ONLY teaching them aspects of MY (our) Faith. I'm hoping that I'm giving them a solid foundation and stepping stone for the future.

When they are older (late teens 16 and older) then I have no problem with them exploring, learning about other faiths. It is my goal and hope by then they will have a good SOLID understanding of MY (our) Faith so that can make some real comparisons.  (more next post)

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• continue from previous post: It is also my HOPE that they would stay within MY (our) faith, however I would not disown them if they didn't. I understand that my child, just like me, has FREE will and will have to make his own decision.

However, it is also my job to make sure that they have a solid foundation to work with and build on. I really don't think a child can have a solid foundation when they are expose to much at a EARLY age. In my opinion an early age would be anything under the age of 16.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2008