NEED HELP/IDEAS - ASAP-LIFE & DEATH!!!

I was forced to give up my dog to a local shelter in Sylmar, CA! I'm still hoping to find her a home. Does anyone have any ideas that I maybe haven't thought of in trying to get her a home?? I've posted ads on petfinder,craigslist,myspace as well as put flyers up in local vet hospitals, pet stores, dog parks & asked everyone I know. Please...if you have any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Dabugg698

Asked by Dabugg698 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pets

• Sounds like you've done everything. Is this a no-kill shelter? If so, be patient and let them find her a good home.

If she's a pure bred, do you have any rescues that help that breed of dog?
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 11:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• try posting her for free on your local freecycle board.  Go to www.freecycle.org .

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If she is a lap dog, I'd post fliers up at the retirement communities. The elderly love dogs as companions. Especially if they have a nice story like yours.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• She THINKS she is a lap dog..but she isn't. She is a med. size pit bull terrier with only about a week left! I'm calling around to all rescues I can find...and I have tried pit bull rescues too. I'm even looking into out of state rescues but am a little scared of dealing with them since the last 2 rescues that agreed to help and been harrassing me & calling me a murderer since I was forced to place her in the shelter. I had no other choice in that....but I'm trying to do what I can for her still...so if anyone has ideas..that would be wonderful...she is a great dog...and wonderful with kids!
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Looks like you have done as much as you can. I am sorry this is happening to you. It's funny how just the other day someone tied a dog to my mailbox with a note...I guess ( whoever) knew I was a animal lover and would take him in. I wish that would have happened for your dog. I now have 4 rescue dogs and 4 rescue ctas...Good luck
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Why did you have to give her up in the first place? What a shame. A pet is for life regardless. Looking forward to the reasoning.
    Anonymous

• Im in the process of divorce...after getting kicked out from where I was living so that my soon to be exhusband and his preg. girlfriend could move it...I had nowhere to keep her. I'm renting a small room for myself & my 2 children. I tried for the last 2 years to find her a home and find ways to keep her. She went from friends house to friends house, then eventually to texas with another friend, she ended up losing her house so my dog went into a kennel for about a month..when I couldnt afford that..she came to california & she has bounced around from my friends here again. I've just run out of options & of people that can help. I've done everything I can think of...but maybe I missed something..which is why I asked for help for new ideas! I've done flyers, posted ads, contacted rescuse...EVERYTHING I could think of.
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Did you try to post her on freecycle yet? There are ALWAYS people looking for pets there.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• no one in your family wants her and none of your friends want her? is it becuse she's a pitbull?? why can't you take her out of the shelter right now? and why is it that now she had to go to the shelter?? sylmar's not that great of a place(i used to go to school there) put signs up in Valencia and in lancaster/Palmdale area. or down in LA research pit rescues in your surrounding areas..Sylmars by alot of cities, im sure you can find some kind of pit rescue for her to go to. i feel for your dog.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:22 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• you could try Simi too!
    tnteaton