cold :(

my 6 month old daughter has her first cold :( shes got the cough, bad runny nose, and fever. i called the doctor cause of the fever but he said since it's a very low fever to just give her some baby tylenol and try to keep her nose clean. now being a first time mom i dont know what else i can do to make her comfterable. her nose is so stuffy shes having trouble drinking her bottle cause she cant breathe through her nose and she sleeps with a passi most of the time so she didnt sleep either cause once again she cant breathe out her nose very well. anyone have and advice on what i can do to help her nose so she can eat and sleep better =/

sarrrr13

Asked by sarrrr13 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Elevate the head of her bed. (folded towel under the head works well)

Steam her in the bathroom a couple of times a day and suction her out. The steam helps break it up. Suction only if you can SEE stuff in her nose. Otherwise, doing it too often can cause the nasal passages to swell from irritation.

At diaper changes, give her a few nose drops...saline only. Ayr is what we use here. If you see stuff, suction, if not...leave the saline to do it's job and help loosen it up.

Run either a cool mister or steam humidifier in her room. Steam works better for some, cool mist works better for others.

Give her Tylenol to help with the elevated temp if needed, and for discomfort. She can have a dose (based on weight) every 4-6 hours. If the temperature rises, call the doctor.

Hope she feels better soon!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I agree with blue.. and my doctor said that we could give her .25mL of Benadryl if the congestion is really bad..

I would also suggest using Vicks Vapor Rub.. I put it on my DD's back since she sleeps on her belly.. and only at bedtime, but it seems to help.

I also keep a bottle of PediaLyte near her crib for when she wakes up in the middle of the night with coughing fits.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• The PP got everything covered. I also use a little baby vapo rub on the chest, and just let them sleep on me until they feel better. You will be dead tired, but she will get better soon and be smiling at you again. For me, I didnt use the booger-sucker too often because it only made them more angry and more boogs clogged them up. I put some vaseline under their nose to keep it from getting raw, and only wipe with the softest possible cloth, not tissue.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 12:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• im in the same position with my 6 month old. we took her to doc they said same thing we have one of those pediacare plug ins works well and she sleeps either in carseat or bouncy or my arms, doc said cough could last till mid jan! feel free to email me for support i also have a 3 year old to tend too
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 6:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008