6 month old screams when I leave the room!! is it too early for this?

I have a 6 months and NO time for myself lol I love him with all my heart but he seems spoiled rotten to the core the second I sit him down to play by himself he starts screaming if I walk away or out of sight! It's driving me crazy! Do i just let him cry it out for a minute? What do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• By a sling and wear him. Your arms will be free and baby will be happy. He'll grow out of that need eventually.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Seperation anxiety is normal at this age. I would try leaving for 1 min, come back and don't make a big deal, don't coddle, just jump back into what ever you were doing before you left. Gradually increase the amount of time gone. It will not hurt for him to cry for a little. He will learn that you will come back.

I had a friend that would never leave her child b/c they were that way, and when the little one started kindergarden, she screamed the entire day!!
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my daughter is 5 months and while she doesn't scream, she does voice her objections to me leaving the room. I just tell her I'll be back, and she calms down after a minute or two. I make sure she has lots to do before I leave her and it doesn't take long before she's distracted into playing and forgets all about me.
    If that doesn't work, I agree with Jazak as to the best method for getting him used to you coming and going. If you don't make a big deal of the crying he'll learn that that isn't an effective way to get your attention and it will stop. Just make sure to check on him every few minutes to make sure he hasn't gotten stuck or otherwise hurt.. or he isn't just bored with his surroundings. Babies only havce about a 20 minute attention span but as long as you reassure him that you're not far away and your not ignoring the important stuff he'll be fine after a little while.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Nope its not too early, its right on time. Separation anxiety is normal -- just let him know you'll be right back and keep talking to him and at the beg. pop your head in as often as possible (leaving periods of time). Practice leaving him when you don't really have something to do.

I UNDERSTAND -- MY daughter started doing something similar but at TWO MONTHS (I thought I would lose my mind it was only mommy or her daysitters untill about 2 years old)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My baby boy is six, almost seven months old and I can't leave the room to go pee he's so clingy. I'll be sitting with him one minute, go to the bathroom and I can hear him crying in the next room. If its something like going to the bathroom, it won't hurt the baby to cry for a couple of minutes. Its normal and he'll grow out of it.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• That just means you are a helluva good mama if your baby loves you that much already. Take it as a compliment and enjoy it. Pretty soon, she won't want you to hold her at all.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• id let him cry for a minute,my lil ones stops after a few seconds,if nothing is wrong with him,but i would pick him up if he seems to be over doing it and getting all worked up.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Sounds normal to me! My guy occasionally gets in this mood as well. If I can't just stay and play with him, then I try to put him in a centrally located place so he can watch me run around. So far, so good. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Basically they need to know you are going to come back and still be safe when you are away. We played peek a boo with my sisters... we would play with our hands, going longer and longer behind the hands, then behind a blanket. Then when we left the room we would peek around the door frame usually they would laugh, we would go longer and longer, saying we would be right back, then come a second later then a few seconds later. Then when we would be longer we would say where we were going, then we would be back, even just going to the kitchen, we would also talk to them even though we were rooms away, they usually were ok when they can hear you and your voice. Basically they need to know you are going to come back and still be safe when you are away.
    pearlrose

Answer by pearlrose at 10:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2008