Were you the favorite child growing up? Or were you the one left out of everything?

I am appalled at the topic of a favorite child. Growing up, my parents both favored my sister above my brother and me. It really hurt and still does sometimes because they are still doing it! My brother and I were adopted and she was their "real" kid. She got a huge graduation party, her college paid for, house paid for, they bought her horses, and paid for a very upscale wedding/reception. My brother got a life insurance policy and I got children that had bruises inflicted on them while my parents were babysitting my kids while I was working. For graduation, they didn't attend or even send a card. They didn't attend or pay a dime for either of my weddings. I am paying my own college and mortgage. So favorites should never happen. It hurts your kids - even years later. JMO - What's your opinion?

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am an adopted child and loved unconditionally by my parents. I was always told that I was chosen and that it made me extra special. I was an only child, however, I was the favored grandchild because I was the youngest and cutest, lol. The favoritism wasn't anything horrible though, just extra kisses and hugs. I am so sorry to hear how you were treated. Your parents blatant favoritism for a biological child is disgusting. I would love to adopt someday, and would never do that.
    FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 1:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My mother ABSOLUTELY favored my younger sister - I was "too much like my father" - she still favors her and her children over mine to this day .
    My father did not , we were treated equally the way it should be .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• While I do have a favored child at times(it changes, how do you favor the one that is screaming as much as the one that is behaving?) that doesn't mean they aren't treated equally and fairly. I'm sure what you mentioned above happens but it doesn't always. It depends on the parent.

That said, I was the favored child and the only child. I have almost 6 kids of my own now.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was not the favorite child but wasn't left out of anything either. I am the favorite now tho LOL
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My sisters are 8 and 10 years older than me, so growing up I was like an only child. If you ask them, I was the favorite, but I think we all got treated equal. When it comes to money, we all received the same for education and weddings.
    MommyJen

Answer by MommyJen at 1:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I had an older brother and a younger brother, my older brother was 4 when i was born and i was 5 when my youngest brother was born. I was the first grand-daughter on my mothers side of the family. I am the favourite girl because i grew up went to collage, got a proper life and am more than well of and they are all very proud of me. But are parents loved us all equally.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 1:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was the odd one out. My parents did so many things for my sister that they would not do for me, because they determined "it was not needed" It still happens today.

Some how I married the unfavored child also. The crap his mother does makes me soooo mad. I seriously thought about throwing the Thanksgiving turkey @ her head this year, cause all she talks about is the "special" child

Yes, it hurts & I am sure it always will.
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 7:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008