Do you pull out your washer and dryer to clean behind and beneath them?

We moved here in February 2007 and yesterday (12/2008) as I was mopping the laundry room floor I decided to pull out my washer and dryer. Am I ever glad I did! There was so much lint, dirt, and hair underneath and behind them!
I also noticed that the vents on the back of the dryer were clogged with lint so I cleaned those, too. Then I pulled the hose off the vent to clean it out, but it was perfectly clear, which surprised me.

So, I'm wondering, is this a task that I have sorely neglected and should be doing more often?
If so, how often?
Do any of you do this task?

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 12:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I don't do it at all, although I clean my dryer filter every load. I have a wand that I can reach under the refrigerator with, maybe I should try it under the washer and dryer. My dryer is barely attached to the exhaust pipe so I don't want to risk dislodging it. Same with the washer- to move it I'd have to unscrew the attachments to the faucets. Even so, you are right it should be done at least yearly.

Answer by Bmat at 3:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I do it about every 6 months to a year. I don't know if I should do it more often or not.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I would love to do that every week. But our washer/dryer (2-in-1) is so flipping heavy that i only clean behind it every few months.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I got pregnant and nineteen and gave birth at twenty. Never depended on the state and my daughter is spoiled rotten. I started young and you know what...when I am forty five I will be on a cruise while my friend are cleaning butts.hahahaha
    sierra_617

Answer by sierra_617 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I do it about twice per year.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I do it once a month.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I would do it base upon ur use of them. If a lot then 1 a month..It gives u a peace of mind that nothing will make it catch on fire..etc
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 1:45 AM on Dec. 30, 2008