Do you get judged like me for being a teen mother?

I got pregnant at eighteen and am nineteen now and still pregnant and everyone says bad things for being a "teen mother". I've even had a complete stranger in the grocery store who I was blowing the breeze with tell me my son is going to have a 50% more of a chance ending up in prison. Am I the only one treated and offended like this?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I don't think that you being a teen mother will have anything to do with weather or not your son will go to prison. She sounds like an idiot. I think as long as you are mature and raise your child properly you will be just fine. People now days, have no common courtesy. I wouldn't let it worry you. For all you know she might have had a baby as a teen and been a horrible mother and thus thinks that others wll be to. In my opinion, the only down side to being so young, it the fact that young girls bodies may not be developed enough and may incur complications.I know many teens who are very mature young ladies. And if they were to get pregnanat i think they would be just fine . Just let it go and chalk it up to people are just idiot bitches.
    Anonymous

• I got married at 17 and conceived later that year, had my daughter at 18. Decided to have another at 18, conceived at 18 and am not pregnant with an almost one year old (2 days!) and am 5 months preggo with baby number two. I don't act like a teen. I look like a little kid though. I never get bashed unless it's online. I think I conduct myself in public ina manner that people put my good parenting before my age. I get more greife over getting married so young than having babies.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was 19 when I had my daughter and everybody I met thought it was soo bad to be a teen mom. but what they didn't know is that I am MARRIED...and you are almost 20 so you are not a child...tell them to grow up!
    Anonymous

• You are probably not the only one. I know many teen mothers (14-19) and i dont know one teen mother who actually turned out to be able to deal with the new situation (being a mother). BUT, i sure think that there are many teen mothers out there who can make it. They just need to want it and of course they will need a lot of support from the family.

I was 23 when i had my daughter, it was still not easy. So its hard for me to imagine how hard it must be being even younger than that. But like i said, as long as YOU think you can make it, then you will make it. It doesnt matter what me or other people think. Only important thing is that you believe in yourself.

I wish you good luck :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i was 16 when i had my daughter and ill just barely be 18 when my son is born or at least my due date is anyways everyone tells me that my daughter will end up having a baby by the time see is 14 but i keep asking how in the world they can see 13 years into the future they dont know and my mil and husband (seperated) keep calling cps on me cause they just know that im a bad mom cause im too young but the funny thing is until my jerk of a husband took my daughter i had her and cps congratulated me on being a good mom so just blow them off or blow up on them
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• uhg. Im 20 years old. Just turned in November. I am 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow. I get a lot...well did when ppl I work with found out, "your going to ruin your life" "you should 'fix' that before it gets worse". I still don't like to talk much about it to ppl bc of their responses. even though I am so0o happy about having a baby.
    ash1228

Answer by ash1228 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was 17 when i had my son, and everyone was like your going to miss out on everything, and not i did not. I still went to my senior prom, graduated, and now I am 21 going to college married and very happy. I think many people just look down on us because its a sterio type, many young mothers struggle and dont take very good care of their children, but society does not look at the teen mother who do well in life and are great mothers! The best thing I did for myself was to ignore rude comments, you know your a going to/are a good mother and no one else can tell you different.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I'm not a teen mom, but I'm a single mom, and I catch just as much crap trust me! I know some mothers (in their teens) who are very good mothers. IMO I don't think age dictates ability. There are some older mothers who don't have a clue either. The best thing to do is ignore the idiots. 99% of the time, they don't know what they're talking about and for some reason get off on bringing others down.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 1:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I got pregnant at eighteen and am nineteen now and still pregnant and everyone says bad things for being a "teen mother". I've even had a complete stranger in the grocery store who I was blowing the breeze with tell me my son is going to have a 50% more of a chance ending up in prison. Am I the only one treated and offended like this?

I would have said "oh really? I hope your his 1st victim if so" and walk away ;)

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I get it, and I'm not even in my teens! I just look really young for my age. I'm 26 and working on my 3rd baby. But I get people who think I'm in my teens, and they really give me crap for having so many kids so young. Just shows how ignorant they are, IMO.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2008