Would you ever let a ex drug addict babysit your child?

Wondering if anyone would ever let a ex drug addict babysit their child. And would the ammount of time they are sober change your mind or make you feel more comfortable, if so how long would someone have to be sober in order for you to trust them with your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• No! Because simply people whom have addictive personalitys once they stop one addiction they will soon to have another..I just do not take chances with my children any more..
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• MY FATHER IS A ON AN OFF RECOVERING ADDICT I DO WORRY BUT I JUST HAVE FAITH. I KNOW HIM. I DONT LEAVE MY KID IF HE IS DEPRESSED OR IN A ANGRY STATE OF MIND CAUSE I KNOW THE THINGS TRIGGER AN ADDICT TO PICK UP. LOOK FOR SIGNS IN THE ADDICTS BEHAVIOR AND LESTIN TO YOUR GUT FEELING. I DO NOT MIND ALOWING HIM TO SPEND TIME WITH MY CHILD I EVEN GIVE THEN ALONE TIME TOGETHER. HE CAME BACK TO ME JUST FINE OF COURSE I MONATOR WITH PHONE CALLS. I ALSO FEEL LIKE WHEN MY FATHER IS AROUND MY CHILD IT MAKES IS STRONGER, HE FEELS LOVED BY HIS INNOCENT CHILD THAT HOLDS NO RESENTMENT TWARDS HIM. THEREFORE I ACCUALLY PEFER HIM TO BE AROUND MY CHILD (NOT NECECERALLY ALONE NOR TO BABYSIT FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME)
    BUT BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE IT MAKES HIM NOT WANT TO PICK UP. MY BELIF IS AS LONG AS THE ADDICT IS NOT SHOWING SIGNS OF DEPRESSION OR INSTABLATY GIVING HIM TIME WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY IN A POSTIVE SETTING MAKES THE USER STRONGER WILLED.
    yumymommy

Answer by yumymommy at 2:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I struggle with this because my mom is an recovering addict. AHe has been clean for a little over 2 years now. I still dont trust her to watch my kids :( I wish I could but I just cant. And she is my omther!! SO I guess I definatly wouldnt let someone who wasnt family. I suppose you have to go with your gut, Do you trust this person?? How well do you know them?
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 7:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Only family members or very close friends are allowed to watch my kids. If any of them were ex druggies, they'd have to be clean for a few years before I'd trust them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• it would depend how long they had been clean for. I still havent left my daughter with anyone, but if it was way in the past and they had truley left it behind yes I would
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It would depend on who the person was. If I haven't known this person to long hell no. If i have it depends on who the person was.
    mommyB830

Answer by mommyB830 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My SO, my son's paternal grandparents, and friends of my SO's are recovering addicts. I let my SO watch my son...as we lice together. He has 2 1/2 years clean. I don't let my son's paternal grandparents. They each have 2 1/2+ years clean, but his grandma is unfit in my opinion to watch such a young child and his grandfather is in prision. His godfather is a recovering addict with 2 years clean and has watched him. I trust these people and know them all very well.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 11:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Depends. I wouldn't call someone who used to do drugs 10 years ago but never touches the stuff, hangs out with that crowd, or anything an addict, but if it is someone who really struggles daily, no.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2008