Do all doctors push C sections for their convenience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• iv never heard of a dr pushing a c section for their convenience all though im sure it happens.
    There are many reasons a dr might think a c section is safer and is going to push the issue with you.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No! I had a doctor with my oldest who took quite a natural approach. I didn't even have a 20 week u/s. As long as all tests came back ok, he just let things go naturally.

Now for me this ended up working against me. I made it clear that I wanted to go natural and to not let me talk myself into an epidural at the first bad pains. I did end up needing to be induced a day shy of 42 weeks and then didn't get an epi for 9 hours after the induction and had an emergency c-section. In time that we were safe... but I'd wanted the epi AND c-section pretty much right after the induction got under way LOL!

Yep, he was definitely not one to rush into interventions heh heh.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 12:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I can't say ALL doctors do this, but I know that more and more doctors are quickly turning to C-sections or misinforming patients due to their own lack of education or myths or laziness.
    Anonymous

• I think a lot of doc's also do them to avoid any kind of legal issue. The courts have set a precedent that anytime a doc. does a c-section, it's safer than letting a mother birth vaginally, so a lot of times when in doubt, a doc. does a c-section to avoid litigation. They also do it so they can avoid being with a laboring mother for over 24 hours. Would you want to work for 24 hours straight or just do a quick operation and be out in time for dinner?
    Anonymous

• Yes, the vast majority of them. A few have even been quoted about how they prefer those and will try to get a patient to have them done.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My doctor has never mentioned a csection to me. I do have to be induced but, that is for real health problems.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008