Opinions on cloth diapers?

I just bought Kissaluvs Fitted Diapers and another quite cheaper bundle of fitted cloth diapers. Has anyone had luck with cloth diapers in general?

I'm due soon and am anxious to try them out. Every parent I know uses disposable and can give no advice.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've not used cloth diapers, but my mother used them on me and my brother, and I have friends who have used them.

I know many of my mommy friends prefer Bummgenius diapers, or they make their own.

I personally think they are great, since they are more environmentally friendly, cheaper in the long run, can be re-used, and typically tend to be better for baby, since they are not filled with toxins like disposable diapers are.

Something I'd reccomend doing though....when you wash them make sure during the rinse cycle to use white distilled vinegar(about 1/2 cup) and about 1 tbsp Tea Tree Oil....these act as disinfectants.

Do not bleach your cloth diapers or use softner sheets on them, as this breaks them down.
    Anonymous

• I really wanted to cloth diaper my kids, but we lived in an apartment at that time and I felt bad that I'd be washing that in the community washer. That's the only opinion I can offer, I guess as long as you are using your own washer then there shouldn't be a problem :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I use cloth diapers and I love them! I use BumGenious 3.0's, but there are a ton of others out there that are great that I haven't tried. the BG's have velcro, others have snaps, or there are the prefolds& covers, you will have to do some research to find what you want. There are pros and cons to all the different styles. I have 11 month old twins and I wash a load everyday, it's a pain in the butt to stuff them (they are pocket diapers that you stuff with an insert) but I dont' want to use the All in ones because I guess they take longer to dry. There's a group call "cloth diapering", you can go there to learn what you need to know.
    jennagale76

Answer by jennagale76 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I use the bumgenius diapers and the kissaluv contours... they work great for me. It IS more work, but I find it is worth it not to contribute ONE TON of waste to landfills (as each baby in disposables does). I like them and I stay at home so I like the work. :) Plus you'll save $$ in the long run. Cottonbabies.com is a great resource, and they tell you how to wash the diapers.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I love my cloth! I found that KLs are better for younger babies as they aren't really that absorbent IMO. I like fitteds and pockets the best, with AIOs for when out for convenience. I have prefolds, too for days when I am just sitting around the house. My advice would be to use DS and try a little of this and a little of that until you find what works best for your babe. I love Scuttlebutts (you can find them on Hyena Cart) for my little guy.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I love cloth!! Since you bought fitted make sure you get covers because fitted aren't water proof. I don't personally care much for fitteds. I found that with fitteds the baby's entire diaper area gets wet, not just the crotch part when they pee if you don't change them within 5-10 minutes. I prefer pockets and all in ones.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I'm using disposable, though I now feel I could have easily used cloth with my son. When I have more than one child and less time to do laundry, I don't think it would work so well. I'm definitely more supportive of the idea than I would have thought I would have been, though!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008