Whats the way to get a teen 2 clean thier bedroom ??

my daughter is 17 and a pig , I have tried n tried to get her to clean her room but with no luck. I have tried grounding,taking cell, takin tv, stero grrrrr can anyone think of anything else??? I have to have the laziest kid ever, I would understand if she was raised like this but I have always kept a nice home and have never in my life been lazy so she didn't get this from me .But at my wits end here....

shercarico

Asked by shercarico at 9:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Take her door off. Tell her she can have it back when you can see that her room is picked up.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2011

• take everything off the floor and toss it on her bed. after a week she will get sick of you doing this and will either clean her room or get used to sleeping on a bunch of junk.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2011

• well, my kids are 3.5 and 7 but they are lazy as anything! What I do is tell them ahead of time. ____ is going to be a 'clean your room day' Then on that day after breakfast they go up to their rooms and they stay in there (except for the bathroom and meals) until it is done. No radio, no tv, no phone, no friends just sit in your room. The first time I did this my DD took a day and a half. she finally figured out I was serious by lunch time the next day. DS took until dinner the first day. It was bad. It sucked for all of us but it worked. Now they are done by lunch every time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Aug. 30, 2011

• clean her bedroom for her, but every time you clean it....take something important of hers out of their room & hide it, but don't say anything. when they come to you asking about it, say "I'll clean your room how I want to clean it, since you won't do it. If you want to clean your room a different way, then you need to start doing it yourself."

Taking her door off might work too. Taking rights away does help. No friends, no privileges...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2011

• As long as the mess is in her room alone I would leave it there. She has to keep the door shut and has to do her own laundry- because you aren't going in there to collect or put away clothes. She is not allowed food or drink in her room- because you do not want it attracting bugs. If she wants to live in her own filth so be it. She will have to square with it one day. Like when she looses an important paper or has no clean clothes. I would continue to require she keep family living spaces free of her stuff though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2011

• It is her way of rebelling against your authority. She determines you have control of the rest of the house, so she wants control of her own room. Sure it may seem as though she is just lazy, but she is clearly in defiant of your request. The cell phone is always a good way to enforce requests. But, stop requesting her doing this. Take the phone...keep the phone..and other electronics...stop talking and nagging her...and just keep the stuff. If she doesn't clean her room, fine...let that be on her, but DON'T give her back her stuff under ANY circumstances. Whether she has a hs game or hs function...you keep that phone. She will realize you mean business when it doesn't seem like it frustrates you so much. Cause and Effect. Worked wonders on my strong willed teenage daughter. And, took pressure off me wanting to be in control of everything. I made it her responsibility and she suffered consequences for it.
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 30, 2011

• They say that you should let the kids deal with thier rooms- that you should just close the door and walk away.

I think that's fine, they have to live in it not me- I DO make them clean though if they want people over or to have a sleep-over or something, and I DO make them clean up trash- they are not supposed to take food or soda into their rooms and they get in trouble for that...otherwise I let it be. Mine have gotten better as they ahve gotten older-but lately my 17 yr olds room is trashed for some reason...she will get sick of it pretty soon and clean it up ;)

The rest of the house is fine so...I ignore it for the most part
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2011

• Our kids' rooms were left to them. There was no food allowed in the bedrooms and clothes had to be in the hamper for it to be washed. And plenty of kids have been taught how to their own lanudry by this age. No sleep overs were allowed if the room was a mess. Our kids would have a day every couple of months when they got tired of how their room looked and they would spend the time cleaning themselves. They learn how things should be if you have the rest of the house clean and neat. Let their room be their territory and shut the door if guests come over.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2011

• Let her have her room the way she wants, but make her keep the door closed, also making her do her own laundry, keeping her stuff picked up out of the living room, family room, kitchen, etc. No food/drinks/candy or gum in the room. DS used to do this, and when he would clean his room, I would always get 5-7 loads of laundry at a time! I gave him a mesh laundry bag that he hung on his door, when it gets full (3 loads max) either he brings it to the laundry then and I will do his laundry or if he waits, he gets to do his own. He is much better about keeping it picked up, she will get better.....hopefully.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2011

• oh, and when the kids were young, if it was in the floor in the morning and not picked up by evening, they must not want it anymore, I would pick it up and throw it away.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2011