My 7 year old has been so tired and not willing to eat lately. Any ideas?

We have a doctor's appointment scheduled on Wednesday morning, but until then I was hoping to get some insight from people who maybe have been there. It started on Christmas, so I just assumed it was the holiday stress. But he didn't really eat on Friday, or Saturday. He slept really really well on Thursday night but on Friday morning, his eyes were all swollen and had bags. Saturday he could barely stay awake in the car. He didn't want to eat on Saturday. Yesterday I saw him at like 5 on my break from work and he looked like he hadn't slept in days. He opted to go to bed early and then slept in very late for him this morning, and I had to drag him out of bed. He still looks and acts very tired. He says he isn't hungry. He is used to eating breakfast between 6:30-7:15 but he hasn't eaten anything yet and it is nearly 11. He seems normal in every other aspect

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I'd ask the dr about mono. My son had it, and we couldn't figure out what it was. He was very very tired, not at all hungry, had swollen lymph nodes in his neck (but his throat wasn't sore), and muscle aches. That's definitely something to look into. Also if you can't get him seen before Wednesday, make sure he doesn't do ANY type of sports or anything liek that because Mono can cause your spleen to become enlarged and any excess pressure could cause a rupture. I'd just keep him resting and hydrated til you can get him in.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I would definately get him to the doc.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Does he have a sore throat...my daughter was very tired, hardly ate and wanted to lay down all day...she had strep throat.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• He says he is fine, he is just tired and doesn't want to eat. He is drinking fine, so I am leaning against a sore throat.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Keep him hydrated with water. I definitely would bring to the Dr. It is probably a virus but could be mono. Let him get the rest and fluids he needs. Keep us informed.
    Free2bmom

Answer by Free2bmom at 6:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I agree with the mono thing. My daughter had really swollen glands in her neck and that was her only symptom. The doc did blood tests and it came back mono. Does he have swollen glands? My daughter was really tired too, sort of took a lot of breaks from playing and just layed on the couch. Probably mono and the good thing is if they get it when they are young, it is not that bad and they can't get it again!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• They did a blood test, however, we won't get the results for several days. The doctor doesn't think it is mono. The doctor thinks it was just over stimulation paired with a growth spurt, but agreed to do a blood test just in case. Thanks ladies. I will let you know when we get the blood test results back.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• We are going back today because he has gotten pale and his eyes are dark. We are going to see if the have the blood test back and if not, at least we are doing something proactive.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Did you find out? My 3 year old has the exact symptoms. we are taking her to the doctor today. Thanks for your help

lorenawebber

Answer by lorenawebber at 11:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would like to know if you found anything out; my 3 year old has the same symptoms, we are going to the dr. tmw but she has been like this for a few weeks. I thought it was stress from moving but now i think differently. thanks.
    shawna0484

Answer by shawna0484 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2009