I'm getting a raise! How much should I ask for?

I have been w/ this practice for a year in January. At my 6 month review, my boss told me that I could get a small raise then, or a bigger one if I waited until January (b/c of the economy). So... it's coming up on my anniversary here, and I can't WAIT to get my raise! Right now I make $31,200... but I only work a 35-hr work week and my insurance is paid for by him (which is about $400/month). I still pay another $45o/month for insurance on my kids (bleck!). What kind of raise should I ask for?

Luvmylilmonkies

Asked by Luvmylilmonkies at 1:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• Most places give percentages as far as I have seen. And I have only ever asked for a raise in an effort to keep a job that I was considering leaving. So I am of no help. Sorry! If my math is correct, that puts you around 17.15 an hour? Perhaps make it an even 18? Also, if my math is correct, that is 5% and from what I have seen, that is quite competitive.
    Anonymous

• I'd say ask for no less than .50 cents more per hour, but I wouldn't ask for more than $1 per hour.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You know, they may well already know exactly what they're going to give you. That's generally how raises work when they're scheduled.

In any event, don't ask for a number at all...let the boss be the first one to mention a number. It may be higher than what you would have asked for!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• According to some salary sites, I should be making about $7k more than I am (base salary). I am really happy here and I wouldn't leave, regardless. I just want to get a little more money. I was thinking about giving him all of the salary research I've been doing (he's a paper-trail kind of guy) and then ask for $34k. I would like to come home with about $100 more per paycheck (2x per month) because I have about 30% taken out of my check, between taxes and insurance. At $34k, I will bring home almost exactly what I want. I'm sure he'll low-ball me, so hopefully I'll at least get $32,500 LOL.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• A paper trail is good, but I've found it is often better to state your accomplishments that justify why you should get x amount of dollars more. Think of a few things you could bring up such as your work on an important project and show him your value to the company...and then show him how much other companies are paying for your services. Good Luck!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Usually they don't ask you how much you want. Its a set percentage. I would say it should be about 2% of what your making now.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2008