How to saute rice until brown?

Not sure what saute means. I know how to cook rice, but now sure how to saute. The recipe calls for saute rice until brown. Any ideas?

Billman343

Asked by Billman343 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Umm one of my hub's favorite dishes is my fried rice but I don't know anything about sauteing until brown. There are many types of rice... You can even use specifically brown rice. What recipe are you making? That might help me give you a more specific answer :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 1:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I take a little bit of butter, melt it in the pan and add the rice, you sort of stir the rice around to get browned on all sides.........it only takes a few minutes :)
    wendyb27

Answer by wendyb27 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I am using brown whole grain rice
    Billman343

Answer by Billman343 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yup then butter or even you can do some oil if you prefer. Get it hot and then kinda like caramelizing onions or so. I would do a medium high heat but not much more than that. If you are trying to get a certain presentation appearance, you can add a dash of dales steak sauce or soy to enhance the color... just remember that it will affect the flavor also :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 1:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Thanks so much! I just sprayed my skillet with olive oil and put it on medium heat until most of the rice grains we're a golden color. Than added my broth and now it is simmering until tender! Yummy I can't wait to try this out. It also said to add crushed almonds and sunflower seeds, along with some spices and broccoli at the end. We've slowly switched to whole grains and all natural foods, so I've been looking for different recipes to try out. It took us a few months, but we've almost cut out all meats and switched to fruits, veggies, dairy and whole grains only. It took a little getting used to though. This was our new years resolution. It looks like your hubby is a good cook.. You got any good recipes? Beans and veggies type ones? If so I'd be so happy if you'd share. :-)
    Billman343

Answer by Billman343 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008