Should parents be blamed for child murders?

We have seen a rash of child murders, do you think the parents should be blamed even charged also? Do you think they should be charged as adults?

Saved_by_GOD

Asked by Saved_by_GOD at 1:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It depends on the situation i think, because imagine what the parents are going through losing your child and it may be a close family member which had done it because they know the parents trust them. It's not always the parents fault but if the parents had conflicted the murder then they should be charged

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 1:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I wouldn't go as far to say to blame the parents. Some parents take all steps into making sure their children are mentally right but they can't however stop them from acting out all of the time. I DO feel that if a child commits a murder they should be charged as an adult. Call me harsh but most kids know right from wrong anf they KNOW guns are bad, can hurt and even kill, so if they take on a adult action they should be punished as one to. I think a parent should be charged IF and only IF the guns (if that's the case) where not locked away so that this child couldn't get it. But if a kids just takes a knife or bat and kills someone else, the parent shouldn't be charged in that b/c it was no way they could have prevented such a act due to a daily household item. Guns are not.
    hope I made sence :-/
    Mommy2life

Answer by Mommy2life at 1:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I think I worded it wrong the child is the murderer.
    Saved_by_GOD

Answer by Saved_by_GOD at 1:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• if i go and kill someone.. i do not think its my parents fault.. at all!

you hear it so many times: "oh he/she had such a bad childhood"... thats just excuses and bullshit.

But if a child gets molested and abused by the parent(s) and then someday freaks out and takes their lifes. I wouldnt judge the kid at all.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If a child is out killing there is clearly something wrong at home.  If mom and dad are abusive, neglectful or spoil the child till they feel entitled to do what they want they are responsible on some level.  Most criminals have been abused or neglected.  Many have no fathers and moms who have multiple kids with multiple loser dads.  They have no security and not real shot at a life.  I hold the jerk parents responsible on some level for not raising their child up right.   In some cases of severe abuse maybe the parents should be charged. 

Anonymous

• As for the parents being charged, it would depend on the situation and circumstances of the crime.
     I think that when a senseless crime is committed, we look for reasons and foundation for the evil that exists. It's easy to blame a parent, after all, we are what nurtures our children and teaches them right from wrong. However, I try not to look too hard at the parents in every situation because we all have free will. Some kids will do bad things.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• (cont.)
    The parents may not have an idea that the child is inherently bad, and may have nurtured their kids just like you do yours. Society likes to blame a less than perfect upbringing because we really have no idea what makes some people bad. But there are still plenty of responsible, loving, law abiding adults that have had difficult childhoods. The choices we make help shape who we are, so as a blanket statement, no, I don't think parents should be held responsible if their offspring commits murder.
    QuinnMae

• Unless the parents have some type of mind control device, then it is solely the fault of the children. We each have free will and make our own choices. People are too quick to point fingers and blame someone other than themselves. Take responsibility for your own actions!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• ""guns are bad, can hurt and even kill""

Oh please! GUNS don't do anything by themselves. They are simply tools to be used like any other tool. (Knife, shovel, hairdryer...)

Parents shouldn't be charged with their children's crimes except in some very special cases. Exceptions to the rule can be brought up in the child's trial and decided on a case-by-case basis.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the situation.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 3:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008